2016 List – Colorado’s Most Endangered Places


The 2016 sites have been selected and officially announced!  

Colorado Preservation Inc’s Most Endangered Places for 2016 are……

2016 all

Four diverse sites were selected in 2016 that speak to sites of community, entertainment, and employment.  The sites include one of two of Colorado’s early theaters, a historic bandshell, and a sugar beet factory.  The Great Western Sugar Factory is the first of this resource type listed in the Endangered Places Program.

Colorado Preservation, Inc. through its Endangered Places Program devotes staff time and resources to raise funds and rally concerned citizens so that listed, as well as non-listed, sites can be saved. We are proud to be able to work within communities as issues and threats arise in order to advocate for preservation throughout the state.


1. Great Western Sugar Factory   2. Glen Huntington Bandshell   3. Belvidere Theatre   4.Tabor Opera House

historic Glen Huntington Band Shell

Great Western Sugar Factory

Brighton, Adams County

Glen Huntington Bandshell

Boulder, Boulder County

Belvidere Theater ad 11- tabor-opera-house-oldphoto

Belvidere Theatre

Central City, Gilpin County

Tabor Opera House

Leadville, Lake County


Donate to CPI

We hope you will extend your appreciation for Colorado's past into an investment in its future by making a tax-deductible gift today.

Featured Project

4 Bar 4 Ranch

Homesteaded in 1895 by Dick McQueary to provide a stop for the Georgetown Stage Line, the 320-acre 4 Bar 4 Ranch has strong ties to Grand County and Colorado's heritage. The Georgetown Stage Line traveled on the road through the 4 Bar 4 Ranch from Idaho Springs to Hot Sulphur Springs over Berthoud Pass. In 1895 a roadhouse and stage stop were constructed on the ranch. The hotel and barn were constructed using trees from the Ranch property, and the hotel remained open for travelers coming over Berthoud Pass by horseback and wagon until 1913. With the coming of the automobile, the roadway over Berthoud Pass and through the 4 Bar 4 Ranch was considered an integral part of the Trans-Continental “Midland Trail” highway. Following the closing of the stage line, the ranch continued to host travelers until 1912 or 1913 when it was purchased and converted into a Ford Motor Company . Ford vehicles were sold here until 1917, when Harry Larkin purchased the ranch site. Today emergency efforts are underway to ensure it survives through the winter. Donations are in need. To learn more, contact Jennifer Orrigo Charles at jorrigocharlges@coloradopreservation.org.

Join our Email List