State Honor Award Archives

2010

Nan and Dave Anderson
Nan and Dave Anderson’s long relationship with historic preservation began in 1985 during a project for the National Park Service in Kennicott, Alaska. For more than 25 years, their passion for historic preservation and sustainable design has been a constant influence in their work. Their professional work has received recognition and awards from numerous preservation organizations including the National Trust for Historic Preservation, Preserve America’s Treasures, Colorado Historical Society, Denver Regional Council of Governments, Colorado Preservation, Inc., Historic Boulder, Historic Denver and others. Combined, Nan and Dave have assisted clients in overcoming challenges in their historic preservation projects by sharing their extensive knowledge of funding sources, deferred maintenance mitigation, construction practices and building techniques for remote locations. Nan and Dave’s work focuses on civic architecture and is often employed in community building projects. One such project was the Littleton Municipal Courthouse, which helped draw Littleton’s old town main street revitalization eastward toward the courthouse. Another project that exemplifies their ability to blend civic and community building within the framework of historic preservation is the rehabilitation of the Lumber Baron Inn, located in the Potter Highlands neighborhood. This rehabilitation maintained many of the historic details found throughout the home and was a catalyst for the revitalization of this National Register Historic District. The Andersons’ guiding philosophy – the sympathetic relationship between historic preservation and sustainable design – is evident through their commitment to high standards and continued support of preservation.

Colorado Chatauqua Association
Listed on the National Historic Landmark registry in 2006, the Colorado Chautauqua Association has gone above and beyond normal preservation practices to not only preserve the 67 properties at the historic site, but also to become the leading environmentally sustainable National Historic Landmark. The Association refers to this innovative combination of preservation and sustainability as “high performance preservation”. Part of the Chautauqua Movement, the site opened on July 4, 1898, to serve as a cultural and educational retreat under the guidance of Boulder’s civic leaders and Texas educators. Today, the Colorado Chautauqua is one of three remaining Chautauquas in the United States and the only continually operating site west of the Mississippi River. The historic site provides the unique opportunity to conduct real-world experiments on how to improve comfort and reduce the structures environmental footprint while preserving their historic integrity. Those lessons are then used to educate the public on how they can be applied to both small commercial as well as residential buildings regardless of their age or architectural style – consistent with the Chautauqua Movement’s mission of lifelong learning. 

Cara Fisher
Cara Fisher has specialized in making significant contributions to preservation efforts in Canon City and Fremont County. Cara has retired as the local History Center Curator but has not given up her passion to make a difference in the community and motivate others. Ms. Fisher has been instrumental in not only her own work but by educating the public and engaging the community, past and present.

In 2008, the Fremont County Heritage Commission was formulated with the guidance of Cara’s enthusiasm and vision to raise awareness about Fremont County’s important cultural heritage. Since its inception, the Commission has been the host of “On the Road” event in 2009, and various other community events and projects.

Other preservation work Cara has recently been involved with includes advocating for recognition and funding to restore the Garden Park School, fundraising efforts for the repairs of stones at the Greenwood Pioneer Cemetery, and facilitating the Smithsonian exhibit, Between Fences, at the Museum of Colorado Prisons. Each of these projects has played an important role in telling the story of Fremont County and providing enrichment for the public.

Great Sand Dunes National Park and PreserveOn June 6, 2010, a lighting strike within the Great Sand Dunes National Park and Preserve set off the Medaño fire which burned for almost two months and destroyed over 7,000 acres. Within the Park stand more than 72 culturally modified ponderosa pine trees many of which contain large scars. Culturally modified trees describes the modification of trees by indigenous people as part of their tradition. Archaeologists believe that Ute Indians peeled the bark from these trees, and that the site can provide important information about Ute social history and subsistence strategies. The Indian Grove site is listed on the National Register of Historic Places and is highly regarded by Native Americans who still utilize the park for traditional activities as their ancestors did for more than 200 years. These trees have been used for food, medicinal purposes and building materials.

The quick action of The Great Sand Dunes National Park and Preserve staff and firefighters was instrumental in saving these living resources. They swiftly developed a formal plan to protect as many culturally modified trees as possible. Prior to the fire, staff had removed duff, branches and other fuels surrounding the Indian Grove site in order to help protect it in the event of a fire. In the process of lighting back fires, firefighters identified and helped protect additional modified trees. Due to the persistence and quick action by The Great Sand Dunes National Park and Preserve staff and firefighters, the cultural landscape and heritage were protected for future generations.

Nan Rickey
Nan Rickey has been involved in the historic preservation activities of Bent County for more than a decade. She was integral to the preservation of the 1889 Bent County Courthouse, the 1912 Jail, the 1898 International Order of Odd Fellows (IOOF) Lodge #11, the Star School and the historic structure assessment of Boggsville.

Her true passion for historic buildings was most obvious in her involvement with the Bent County Courthouse project. Beginning with a historic structural analysis of the Court House in 2004, the process culminated with the completion of the exterior restoration and interior remodeling of this oldest continuously operated courthouse in Colorado.

For the Courthouse project, Nan provided invaluable guidance for missing details, restoration procedures and funding. Typically, a project of this size would be funded through several grant applications. Nan realized that the more economical route would be to have one general contractor working through all grant cycles. This approach was unique to the State Historic Funding process and critical to the success of the project.

Nan was instrumental in saving the IOOF Lodge from demolition and worked with the Pioneer Historical Society of Bent County to achieve success with this community – enhancing adaptive use project. Completed in 2010, the John W. Rawlings Heritage Center is now a museum, art gallery, and event space.

Nan has been invaluable to these projects and the community, as a coordinator, innovator and manager. Her tireless efforts were rewarded when the County Commissioners received the 2010 Governor’s Award for Historic Preservation.

 

2009

R. Charles Brantigan Denver, CO

Charles Brantigan and his wife, Kathy, have been involved in historic preservation since moving to Lafayette Street in inner city Denver in the early 1980’s, saving a number of historic buildings. Since that time they have created the Lafayette Street Historic District, moved and locally designated the McBird House and restored their office, the Gebhard Mansion and listed it on the National Register. Their latest project is the Como Roundhouse. Chuck is the biographer of several prominent Victorian architects and his reference works are used daily at the Denver public Library Western History Collection. He serves as the chairman of the Uptown Hospital District Urban Design Forum whose mission includes preserving the historic fabric of the Uptown neighborhood. Dr. Brantigan feels greatly honored by this award from Colorado Preservation, Inc.

Manzanola Depot Manzanola, CO

The rehabilitation of the Manzanola Train Depot represents the very best ideals of historic preservation. When this rural community of less than 600 people decided to transform the critically deteriorated 1913 Santa Fe Railroad Train Depot into city offices, a senior center and museum they undertook a project that would ultimately involve more than a dozen agencies and local foundations. Community members undertook fundraising and research efforts, and forged unique partnerships which included inmates at a nearby Correctional Facility who created the furnishing for the new building. As one of the first major historic restorations of a public building in the county, this project has served as a shining example of what can be accomplished when a rural community commits to preserving its history and heritage.

Col. (Ret) David R. Hughes Colorado Springs, CO

Col. (Ret) David R. Hughes was a key player in the 1976 economic, cultural, and architectural revitalization of Old Colorado City, a historic but blighted area on the west side of Colorado. Today it is a vibrant, popular commercial and residential neighborhood. He helped organize the Organization of Westside Neighbors (OWN) representing the 20,000 residents of the area and was instrumental in Old Colorado City being recognized as Colorado Springs’ first National Register of Historic Places District in 1982. He is an active Board member of the Old Colorado City Historical Society (OCCHS). Dave’s passion, creativity, and leadership towards the protection and interpretation of state and especially local heritage continue to challenge and inspire others. He was instrumental in establishing a Colorado City Historic Overlay Zone project with matching funds from OWN and OCCHS. He continues to write extensively, on line and for publication. After retiring from the military and along with his many civic interests, Hughes continued running his own advanced telecommunications business. He has been honored as an Internet Pioneer. He continues to research and fund technological ways to tell Colorado City’s unique history globally. Hughes is a third generation Colorado native and has received the high honor of Distinguished West Point Graduate from his alma mater.

Union Pacific Railroad Grand County, CO

Early in the year of 2008 the Union Pacific Railroad made plans to cleanup their property along the mainline through Grand County Colorado. This involved tearing down old buildings and facilities that were run down and no longer of value or usable to the railroad. The 1906 depot in Kremmling fit this description. So in March the Grand County Historical Association received notice that we could have the building with the understanding it had to be removed from railroad property. A hasty survey of support from the community of Kremmling, the County of Grand and many Train enthusiasts in the State of Colorado was taken. The summer seemed to fly by as we met with Bailey House Movers, the Grand County Commissioners and the Union Pacific Railroad representative. Soon we had the railroad contractors abating the asbestos shingles from the roof and the lead paint from the outside and inside of the depot. The Union Pacific Railroad donated $15,000.00 to help with the moving cost and the County Commissioners gave $10,000.00. Many private individuals donated time, money and supplies to help complete the project. On September 15, 2008 just after noon the depot was removed from beside the train tracks. The 25′ x 85′ depot building made a slow and careful trip of 5 blocks up the hill and across U.S. Hwy 40 to the new location on the Heritage Park site of the Grand County Historical Association. This Historic Depot would have been lost forever if it hadn’t received help from the Railroad. Now with continued help from the Railroad a Grand Opening of a special place in Kremmling will be coming soon. Our special thanks to the Union Pacific Railroad for a cleanup job “well-done”

 

2008
  • CF&I Medical Dispensary – Pueblo, CO
  • City of Montrose Elks/Civic Building – Montrose, CO
  • Crawford House – Steamboat Springs, CO
  • Gary Petri, Architect – Denver, CO
  • Michelle Pearson, Educator & Preservationist – Denver, CO

 

2007
  • Evelyn Furman – Preservation of the Tabor Opera House (Lake County)
  • Phillip R. Watkins, Jr. – Preservation of stained glass windows throughout Colorado (statewide)
  • Denver Parks and Recreation – Rehabilitation of the Cheesman Shelter at Cheesman Park (Denver County)
  • East High School – Library Renaissance Project (Denver County)
  • Museo de las Tres Colonias – Rehabilitation of the Romero House (Larimer County)
  • Colorado Department of Agriculture, Colorado Historical Society, Colorado State Fair and National Trust for Historic Preservation • Centennial Farms Project (Statewide)

 

2006
  • The Anazazi Heritage Center and Crow Canyon Archaeological Center on the Ancient Images & Pueblo Perspective -Montezuma County
  • Historic Denver, Inc.’s sacred Landmarks Program -Denver County
  • The Internal Revenue Service for the Redstone Castle Easement -Pitkin County
  • Perry Mansfield Performing Arts Camp for Stewardship – Pitkin County

 

2005
  • Armstrong Hotel – Fort Collins
  • Barney Ford House Museum – Breckenridge
  • Dickinson House – Hugo
  • Squirrel Creek Canyon Campground – Pueblo County
  • Trinity United Methodist Church – Denver
  • Rodd Wheaton – with the National Park Service

 

2004
  • Kevin Black, – Statewide Program for Avocational Archaeological Certification
  • John Hopper, Granada – Camp Amache – Granade Relocation Center
  • Grace Stiles, Denver – Stiles African-American Heritage Center
  • Israel Shapira , Rifle – Midland Hotel

 

2003
  • Town of Breckenridge, Summit County -Valley Brook Cemetery Master Plan
  • Level LLC, Las Animas County, Adobe House Rehabilitation
  • News 4 Colorado (KCNC), Statewide – Video of Colorado’s Most Endangered Places List
  • Neil & Debbie Plass , El Paso County – Davis Castle #1 Rehabilitation
  • Save Our District, El Paso County – Defeat of Preservation Ordinance Challenge in Manitou Springs

 

2002
  • City of Central, Central City – Cornish Wall Restoration Program
  • Michael Coughlin of Coughlin & Company and William Moon of David Owen Tryba Architects – Rehabilitation of Rampart Campus at Lowry
  • City of Aspen – Newly Enacted Historic Preservation Ordinance and Historic Preservation Benefits
  • City of Steamboat Springs – Rehabilitation of Carver Power Plant and Construction of Centennial Hall
  • Town of Estes Park – Historic Fall River Hydroplant Project

 

2001
  • Community Partnerships in Preservation
  • Boulder County Open Space Program
  • Southern Teller County Focus Group
  • Downtown Denver Historic District
  • Kit Carson Carousel
  • Cara Fisher

 

2000
  • Gloria Tanner, State Senator – Legislator of the Year
  • Dorothy Rupert, State Senator – Legislative Lifetime Achievement
  • Dottie Wham, State Senator – Legislative Lifetime Achievement
  • Cliff House
  • Erie Town Hall
  • LaVern Johnson
  • Ed Raines
  • Leeman Auto Shop/Broadway Central
  • John Fielder
  • REI

 

1999
  • Marble High School – Small Town Effort
  • Joy Jones – Preservation Service
  • Mount St. Gerturde Academy, Boulder – Adaptive Re-Use of Building
  • The Hotel Saint Nicholas, Cripple Creek – Creative Sollutions
  • Historic Fort Collins Development Corportation – Best Use of Colorado’s Most Endangered Places, Preston Farm
  • Historic Denver, Inc. – Local Landmarking Project
  • The Honorable Lola Spradley, District 44 – Representative of the Year
  • The Honorable Norma Anderson, District 22 – Senator of the Year

 

1998
  • Ken Chlouber, State Senator – Public Policy Award, SB 69 Protecting Historic Structures in Gaming Towns
  • Marilyn & Richard Fay – Restoration of Powers House in Victor After 50 Years of Vacancy
  • Jim Hartman and National Properties – Renovation of Courtyard by Marriot
  • Pol Saint-Paul and F.A.C.T. – Restoration of the Rialto Theatre in Florence
  • Rose Brinks and Family – Clean Up and Repare of Binghim Hill Cemetery in LaPorte
  • Historic Boulder, Inc.’s Technical Assistance Program – Grassroots Help in Preservation of Historic Sites.
  • Austin Building, Denver – Rehabiliated for Affordable Housing
  • Gunnison Arts Center – Facade Restoration by Local Craftsmen with Local Funding
  • Cripple Creek and Victor Mining Company – Renovation of Victor’s Old Post Office for Company Headquarters
  • Pahl-Pahl-Pahl PC Architects – Returning Original Character to Norlin Library Center for British Studies, University of Colorado
  • Cathy Hutchinson – Saved the Harmony School in Fort Collins from the Wrecking Ball, and Oversaw its Rehabilitation
  • R. Michael Bell – Restored the 1892 Italianite Commercial Fritz Building in Durango
  • Cranmer Estate – Extensive Restoration to Return to Original Grandeur

 

1997
  • Historic Denver, Inc. – Thomas Hornsby Ferril House Restoration, Adaptive Re-use, Partnership with Organizations
  • Volunteers for Outdoor Colorado – Wasington Park Boathouse Stewardship and Restoration
  • Colorado Department of Transportation – Rainbow Arch Bridge Restoration, Serving as Pedestrian and Bicycle Bridge
  • Mesa Verde National Park – Preservation Protection During and After 1996 Fire

 

1996
  • Marlene Carson – Restoration of Delta Methodist Church’s Original Stained Glass Windows
  • Grand Junction Downtown Development Authority and Chamberlin Architects PC
  • Reconstruction of the Facade of Avalon Theatre
  • San Juan County Historical Society – Construction and Development of Local Archives Building
  • Town of Pitkin – Restoration of Pitkin Town Hall
  • Karla and Scott Oceanak – Restoration of Spencer House
  • Dr. and Mrs. Hakura, Bill Poss Architects, and Harriman Construction – Sensitive and Compatible Infill Buildings in Historic District
  • Lobb & Company, Inc., – Denver – Restoration of Rio Grande Building
  • Manitou Springs Historical Society – Sensitive and Compatible New Addition to the Miramont Castle
  • City of Woodland Park, Ute Pass Historical Society, Woodland Park Chamber of Commerce, Mountain Arts
  • Council, and Divide Park Board – Restoration of Ute Pass Cultural Center

 

1995
  • La Plata County Historical Society
  • Town of Breckenridge and the Denver, Leadville and Gunnison Railway Company
  • Canon City District Office and the Royal Gorge Resource Area of the Bureau of Land Management
  • Dave Veldman and Mitch Morgan of Veldman Morgan Commercial – Fort Collins
  • Friends of Perry Mansfield – Steamboat Springs
  • Colbran District Office of the United States Forest Service
  • David Fox and Larry Arbuthnaut of Romeo Enterprises LLG – Denver
  • Town of Silverton

 

1994
  • John Hickenlooper – Converting the Cheyenne Building into Phantom Canyon Brewer Company
  • Taco Bell and Architecture One, Fort Collins – Spanish Revival Dwelling Painstakingly Converted into Drive-through Restaurant
  • John and Linda Geer – Rehabilitating Western Slope, Working-class Cottage
  • Arno Herzog – Volunteer Researcher, Carpenter, Tour Guide, Cemetery Expert of St. Elmo

 

1993
  • The 7-Minute Spring Gazebo – Manitou Springs
  • The Union Depot – Pueblo
  • “B” Street Streetscape
  • The Civic Center Park – Denver
  • The Santa Fe Depot – Lamar
  • The Tabor Grand – Leadville
  • Colorado Getaways – Historical Moments Program, KCNC Channel 4 News Department
  • The Rialto Theatre – Loveland

 

1992
  • U.S. West Department of Local Affairs and the University of Colorado at Denver
  • Nixon-Johnson Boulder Valley RE School District
  • Colorado Scenic and Historic Byways Commission
  • Cheryl and Ralph Olson, Fort Collins Historic Propery Owners
  • Andrew Mouton, Stevo Mouton and Pat McGaughran
  • Don Whiteside, Lakewood’s Glen Greighton Neighborhood
  • Aspen Historical Society, White National Forest
  • Historic Georgetown, Inc. and Public Service Company of Colorado
  • Colorado Historical Society, Jim Harmann, President

 

1991
  • Historic Preservation Board of the City of Colorado Springs – Weber/Wahsatch National Historic District Design Guidelines, Project Consultant Main Street Design
  • Sarah Silver and Smiles Dunn – Nomination of Nine Ridgway Properties to Colorado Register of Historic Places
  • Tom Rosemeyer – Preservation and Promotion of Oray Couty’s Camp Bird Mine and Mineralogy
  • Tom and Les Bushman – Renovation of Mary Lawrence Inn in Gunnison
  • Manitou Springs Historic Preservation Commission – Restoration of 1890 “Wheeler Town Clock”
  • Board of County Commissioners – Moffat County – Renovation and Adaptation of Craig’s Historic Armory Hall for Use as Moffat County Museum
  • John F. Gilmore, Owner, Redstone Inn, and James Martin, Consultant, The Color People – Excellence in Exterior Color Application
  • Sterling Downtown Improvement Corp. and Logan County Historical Society – Renovation and Adaptive Use of Sterling Depot

 

1990
  • The Florissant Heritage Society – Preservation and Interpretation of Their Historic Cemetery
  • Thunderpup Construction – Renovation of 1880’s Blain Hotel, Old Town Fort Collins
  • Rick Borman – Renovation of Paris Hotel, Denver
  • Smith-Elisha House and Carriage House, Aspen – Excellence in Adaptive Use of Residential Structure
  • Colorado Department of Agriculture, Colorado Historical Society and Colorado State Fair – Sponsoring Colorado Centennial Farms Program, Now in 5th Year, Honoring 146 Families
  • Denver Rail Heritage Society – Restoration of Platte Valley Trolley
  • Fort Collins Water and Wastewater Utility and Director, Mike Smith – Renovation of City’s Landmark 1883 Waterworks Building
  • State Representative Pat Grant, Senator Jim Rizzuto, and Betty Chronic – Spearheading Passage of HB 90-1033, 20% State Income Tax Credit for Historic Rehabilitation
  • Sally Ketcham, Fort Collins – Historic Preservation and Research with NPS and Preservation Organizations
  • Dr. Doris H. Gregory, Ouray – Dedicate 20 Years of Life to Researching Families, Historic Buildings and Mining Areas
  • Joanne Ditmer, Denver Post – Exceptional Work as Voice of Preservation and Environmental Concerns within Historic Preservation
  • City of Durango – Passage of Preservation ORdinance and Community Planning within Historic Preservation

 

1989
  • Glynn Alegre – Restoration of His 1897 Central City Home
  • Ken and Stephanie Olsen – Restoration of Leadville and Southern RR Line Depot
  • Joan and Harland Jacobson – Restoration of Historc Eastholme Hotel in Cascade as a bed and breakfast
  • Robert S. Philippe – Complete Restoration of Denver and Rio Grande Narrow Gauge Car #120
  • Dr. Wendell and Mary Sue Hutchison and Family – Maintenance of Family Homestead near Poncha Springs, Now in 6th Generation
  • Aspen Community Church – Maintaining Itself as a Focal Point in Aspen’s Heritage for 99 years
  • Carl and Jeanne Judson and The Nature Conservancy – Phantom Canyon Ranch
  • Crow Canyon Archaeological Center – Preserving Native Anasazi Culture
  • Bill Stuart, KCNC-TV and American Automobile Association – For the show “Colorado Getaways”
  • Washington County Museum, Akron – Restoration of Burlington Northern Railroad Dormitory
  • City of Ouray – Restoration of the Facade of City Hall
  • City of Loveland – Restoration of the Washington School into a new Civic Center
  • Clock and Bell Tower Committee of Durango – Uniting the Community to Incorporate the Old Bell Tower into the New Courthouse
  • Rebecca Waugh – Inspiring and Tireless Efforts to Preserve the History of Summit County
  • Ruth and Marvin Gregory – Outstanding Efforts in Preserving and Promoting the History of Ouray County and the Western Slope

 

1988
  • Ian Griffis/Buck Blessing – Rehabilitation of two 1898 residences for apartments within historic district
  • Cambridge Development – Renovation of Neustetters Department Store, Denver, into downtown housing
  • Maggie and Pete Melcher – Thoroughly researched restoration of the Wright Home, Buena Vista
  • The Trestle Partnership (Gary and Dusty Lou, Mike Collins) – Renovation of 1882 railroad warehouse into offices revitalized downtown
  • The CMT Company (John Cogswell, Rick Mueller, Pete and Dave Tyree) – Storefront rehabilitation preserved façade details and signs, returned to original use
  • The City of Delta – Renewal of downtown Delta through renovation of Last Chance Building (Delta County Bank Building)
  • Tom Touris – Merritt House Bed & Breakfast Inn, Denver, designed by Frank Edbrooke, home of Sen. Elmer Merritt
  • Jerry Glick, Susan and Gerald Erlich, The Silver Square Development – Reuse of old factory as living and working artist’s studios
  • Tom Noel, Barbara Norgren, and Historic Denver – Publication of Denver: “The City Beautiful and Its Architects”
  • The Wheeler-Stallard House Museum – Tours, guest speakers and writers, support of ghost town preservation
  • Ray Chamberlin, Executive Director of Colorado Department of Highways – Survey of historic bridges
  • The Southway Construction Company and Texas Gulf Metals and Minerals, Inc. – Preservation of mining equipment in Cripple Creek-Victor
  • Robert Phillipe, Baldwin Mogul Narrow Gauge Steam Engine – Colorado’s oldest locomotive

Donate to CPI

We hope you will extend your appreciation for Colorado's past into an investment in its future by making a tax-deductible gift today.

Featured Project

4 Bar 4 Ranch

Homesteaded in 1895 by Dick McQueary to provide a stop for the Georgetown Stage Line, the 320-acre 4 Bar 4 Ranch has strong ties to Grand County and Colorado's heritage. The Georgetown Stage Line traveled on the road through the 4 Bar 4 Ranch from Idaho Springs to Hot Sulphur Springs over Berthoud Pass. In 1895 a roadhouse and stage stop were constructed on the ranch. The hotel and barn were constructed using trees from the Ranch property, and the hotel remained open for travelers coming over Berthoud Pass by horseback and wagon until 1913. With the coming of the automobile, the roadway over Berthoud Pass and through the 4 Bar 4 Ranch was considered an integral part of the Trans-Continental “Midland Trail” highway. Following the closing of the stage line, the ranch continued to host travelers until 1912 or 1913 when it was purchased and converted into a Ford Motor Company . Ford vehicles were sold here until 1917, when Harry Larkin purchased the ranch site. Today emergency efforts are underway to ensure it survives through the winter. Donations are in need. To learn more, contact Jennifer Orrigo Charles at jorrigocharlges@coloradopreservation.org.

Join our Email List