Jennifer Orrigo Charles

Co & Company - Copy

Executive Director

Endangered Places Program Director (303) 893-4260, ext. 237

Jennifer Orrigo Charles joined Colorado Preservation, Inc as the Endangered Places Program Director in April of 2014. Mrs. Charles received a Masters Degree in Urban Affairs and Public Policy with a Historic Preservation Concentration from the University of Delaware and a B.S. in Anthropology with an Archaeology concentration from James Madison University.

Prior to moving to Colorado, Mrs. Charles served as the Director of Preservation for the Historic Annapolis Foundation in Annapolis, Maryland. As Director of Preservation Services she worked closely with local governments, nonprofit preservation agencies, and Section 106 Review for the U.S. Naval Academy. In this role she managed preservation easements and provided review and written recommendations on all Historic Preservation Commission applications. Mrs. Charles devised original public programming, walking tours and school programs for the Historic Annapolis Foundation and public programming for the Aurora History Museum in Colorado. She believes strongly in the power of community and grassroots efforts to ensure the future of place preserved for all generations.

Donate to CPI

We hope you will extend your appreciation for Colorado's past into an investment in its future by making a tax-deductible gift today.

Featured Project

4 Bar 4 Ranch

Homesteaded in 1895 by Dick McQueary to provide a stop for the Georgetown Stage Line, the 320-acre 4 Bar 4 Ranch has strong ties to Grand County and Colorado's heritage. The Georgetown Stage Line traveled on the road through the 4 Bar 4 Ranch from Idaho Springs to Hot Sulphur Springs over Berthoud Pass. In 1895 a roadhouse and stage stop were constructed on the ranch. The hotel and barn were constructed using trees from the Ranch property, and the hotel remained open for travelers coming over Berthoud Pass by horseback and wagon until 1913. With the coming of the automobile, the roadway over Berthoud Pass and through the 4 Bar 4 Ranch was considered an integral part of the Trans-Continental “Midland Trail” highway. Following the closing of the stage line, the ranch continued to host travelers until 1912 or 1913 when it was purchased and converted into a Ford Motor Company . Ford vehicles were sold here until 1917, when Harry Larkin purchased the ranch site. Today emergency efforts are underway to ensure it survives through the winter. Donations are in need. To learn more, contact Jennifer Orrigo Charles at

Join our Email List