Big News!

Colorado Preservation, Inc. Announces New Executive Director and Spin-Off of HistoriCorps

Colorado Preservation, Inc., the statewide historic preservation non-profit organization, announced today that Jane Daniels, currently Preservation Programs Director, has been named Executive Director effective October 15, 2012. Daniels succeeds interim director Robert E. Musgraves. In addition, CPI is splitting off its HistoriCorps program as a separate entity, and Townsend Anderson has been named Executive Director of that new organization.

“We are fortunate to have talented and passionate people of the caliber of Jane and Towny taking the reins of Colorado Preservation, Inc. and HistoriCorps,” Arianthé C. Stettner, President of the Colorado Preservation Board of Directors said. “Jane has developed close relationships with the communities we support and with our partners across Colorado, particularly History Colorado, and understands very well the opportunities and challenges that face historic preservation today. Towny’s long career in historic preservation and his years of business experience gained as the owner and manager of his own companies will help HistoriCorps transition to the next level as a standalone organization. I can’t think of two people better suited for these roles at this important juncture for both organizations.”

Daniels who has been with Colorado Preservation since 2008, has helped build partnerships with private and public agencies to enhance historic preservation across the state. She has provided technical assistance on preservation tax credits, real estate and finance, fundraising, volunteer coordination, and project planning and design. Prior to joining CPI, she served as the first Executive Director of the Main Street Program in Laramie, Wyoming and currently serves on the Advisory Board of the Colorado Main Street Program. Daniels has been a frequent lecturer at the University of Denver and the University of Wyoming on historic preservation and related topics. She holds a B.A. in geography and environmental studies from the University of Wisconsin-Madison and a M.A. in international studies/environment and natural resources from the University of Wyoming.

Since 2009, HistoriCorps has engaged students and volunteers in building preservation, teaching them valuable skills, and treating them to once-in-a-lifetime experiences while saving historic resources on some of America’s most spectacular public lands. HistoriCorps has carried out stabilization and rehabilitation work on more than 90 historic structures owned by the Forest Service, Bureau of Land Management, National Park Service, History Colorado, and various other local and county governmental organizations.

Anderson has 40 years of experience with historic preservation. His independent scholar studies at Middlebury College concentrating on architectural history and preservation evolved into his first business enterprise—dismantling and reconstructing historic structures destined for demolition. He has restored historic properties as a craftsman, as a contractor, and as a developer and owner, with two of his projects receiving awards from the National Trust for Historic Preservation. Anderson served as Vermont’s first appointed State Historic Preservation Officer, where he co-wrote groundbreaking statewide legislation encouraging reinvestment in historic downtowns and served as a director of the National Conference of State Historic Preservation Officers. Previously he was chair of the Vermont Historic Preservation Advisory Council. More recently, Anderson served as Executive Director of Historic Routt County, a regional nonprofit preservation organization, where he initiated an innovative partnership with Rocky Mountain Youth Corps to put area youth to work on historic building restorations.

For more information on Colorado Preservation, Inc., contact Jane Daniels at 303.893.4260 x 222.

For more information on HistoriCorps, contact Towny Anderson at 303.893.4260 x 235.

 

This entry was posted in Featured, News. Bookmark the permalink. Both comments and trackbacks are currently closed.

Donate to CPI

We hope you will extend your appreciation for Colorado's past into an investment in its future by making a tax-deductible gift today.

Featured Project

4 Bar 4 Ranch

Homesteaded in 1895 by Dick McQueary to provide a stop for the Georgetown Stage Line, the 320-acre 4 Bar 4 Ranch has strong ties to Grand County and Colorado's heritage. The Georgetown Stage Line traveled on the road through the 4 Bar 4 Ranch from Idaho Springs to Hot Sulphur Springs over Berthoud Pass. In 1895 a roadhouse and stage stop were constructed on the ranch. The hotel and barn were constructed using trees from the Ranch property, and the hotel remained open for travelers coming over Berthoud Pass by horseback and wagon until 1913. With the coming of the automobile, the roadway over Berthoud Pass and through the 4 Bar 4 Ranch was considered an integral part of the Trans-Continental “Midland Trail” highway. Following the closing of the stage line, the ranch continued to host travelers until 1912 or 1913 when it was purchased and converted into a Ford Motor Company . Ford vehicles were sold here until 1917, when Harry Larkin purchased the ranch site. Today emergency efforts are underway to ensure it survives through the winter. Donations are in need. To learn more, contact Jennifer Orrigo Charles at jorrigocharlges@coloradopreservation.org.

Join our Email List