Chimney Rock Named a National Monument

In 2006, unusually heavy monsoon rains saturated the soil, causing several walls to collapse, and while emergency stabilization was completed, there was still an overwhelming amount of work that remained to be accomplished. Listed in 2008 and one of Colorado’s Most Endangered Places, and with efforts with the National Trust and the National Treasures program to get the site listed as a national monument in 2009, much has changed.

Friday, September 21st, President Barack Obama designated Chimney Rock as a national monument, a move that will help preserve 4,726 acres in southwestern Colorado. The land will be managed by the U.S. Department of Agriculture and the Forest Service, while at the same time the White House will be working with tribes in the area, and rangers will maintain grazing rights.

In other words, the designation of Chimney Rock as a national monument is a huge success, and a fantastic overall SAVE! This designation will not only be forward momentum towards the preservation of the site, but will provide a boost for the region by driving tourism.

 

This entry was posted in News, Programs. Bookmark the permalink. Both comments and trackbacks are currently closed.

Donate to CPI

We hope you will extend your appreciation for Colorado's past into an investment in its future by making a tax-deductible gift today.

Featured Project

4 Bar 4 Ranch

Homesteaded in 1895 by Dick McQueary to provide a stop for the Georgetown Stage Line, the 320-acre 4 Bar 4 Ranch has strong ties to Grand County and Colorado's heritage. The Georgetown Stage Line traveled on the road through the 4 Bar 4 Ranch from Idaho Springs to Hot Sulphur Springs over Berthoud Pass. In 1895 a roadhouse and stage stop were constructed on the ranch. The hotel and barn were constructed using trees from the Ranch property, and the hotel remained open for travelers coming over Berthoud Pass by horseback and wagon until 1913. With the coming of the automobile, the roadway over Berthoud Pass and through the 4 Bar 4 Ranch was considered an integral part of the Trans-Continental “Midland Trail” highway. Following the closing of the stage line, the ranch continued to host travelers until 1912 or 1913 when it was purchased and converted into a Ford Motor Company . Ford vehicles were sold here until 1917, when Harry Larkin purchased the ranch site. Today emergency efforts are underway to ensure it survives through the winter. Donations are in need. To learn more, contact Jennifer Orrigo Charles at jorrigocharlges@coloradopreservation.org.

Join our Email List