Colorado Preservation, Inc. has many programs that involve local and statewide efforts.

Click into the areas below to learn more about each of these preservation endeavors.

Endangered Places

Colorado Preservation, Inc.’s Endangered Places Program was launched in 1997 with the purpose of identifying historic sites throughout Colorado that are in danger of being lost. Modeled after the National Trust for Historic Preservation’s list of America’s 11 Most Endangered Historic Places, Colorado’s Endangered Places program has been touted by the Trust as one of the best in the nation.
Read More

Saving Places Conference

The annual Saving Places Conference is the second largest preservation conference in the Nation. Each year the Saving Places conference features workshops, educational sessions and special forums that address current and future trends in historic preservation as well as provide continuing education and networking opportunities.
Read More

Cultural Resource Surveys

Colorado Preservation, Inc. began its survey program in 2003 with a multi-year project to identify New Deal resources in Eastern Colorado. Since then the survey program has grown dramatically to include a statewide inventory of school buildings, a pilot project to conduct countywide surveys of rural resources in Eastern Colorado, and a survey of archaeological and architectural resources on private ranchlands in southeastern Colorado.
Read More

Preservation Projects

Preservation Projects are one way that Colorado Preservation, Inc. provides technical assistance to communities and historic resources across the state. Currently, Colorado Preservation, Inc. is involved with several projects!
Read More


Donate to CPI

We hope you will extend your appreciation for Colorado's past into an investment in its future by making a tax-deductible gift today.

Featured Project

4 Bar 4 Ranch

Homesteaded in 1895 by Dick McQueary to provide a stop for the Georgetown Stage Line, the 320-acre 4 Bar 4 Ranch has strong ties to Grand County and Colorado's heritage. The Georgetown Stage Line traveled on the road through the 4 Bar 4 Ranch from Idaho Springs to Hot Sulphur Springs over Berthoud Pass. In 1895 a roadhouse and stage stop were constructed on the ranch. The hotel and barn were constructed using trees from the Ranch property, and the hotel remained open for travelers coming over Berthoud Pass by horseback and wagon until 1913. With the coming of the automobile, the roadway over Berthoud Pass and through the 4 Bar 4 Ranch was considered an integral part of the Trans-Continental “Midland Trail” highway. Following the closing of the stage line, the ranch continued to host travelers until 1912 or 1913 when it was purchased and converted into a Ford Motor Company . Ford vehicles were sold here until 1917, when Harry Larkin purchased the ranch site. Today emergency efforts are underway to ensure it survives through the winter. Donations are in need. To learn more, contact Jennifer Orrigo Charles at

Join our Email List