Central Platoon School

Year Listed: 2012
County: Morgan County
Construction Date: 1928, mid-20th century addition
Threat When Listed: Demolition by Neglect – Vacant
Status: ALERT
 
 

Designed by noted architect Frederick Mountjoy (Rocky Mountain Bank Note Co Building, Avalon Theatre in Grand Junction, Del Norte High School, St. Ignacious Loyola Church, etc.) the nearly 50,000 square foot Central Platoon School is a prominent and beautiful architectural landmark that is sited on an entire city block in downtown Brush. Built in 1928, with a modest addition in the mid-20th century, the school was designed for the platoon educational system that emphasized a curriculum focused on activity-based learning and featured multiple teachers per class (as opposed the more traditional elementary system of one teacher per class per year).

In use as a school until the late 1990s, the building has been vacant since. Pigeons have infested the building and a recent effort removed more than 2000 birds. Their waste is throughout the building and varies in depth from a few inches to knee high under light fixtures and other roosting areas.  Water damage to the ceilings has become increasingly apparent over the past few years.  The size and needs of the building presents a challenge for a rural community of 5000 citizens.

A group of local community leaders has emerged with a strong interest in saving the building. They are currently working with the property owner to discuss use strategies, though his requirement that the building be 70% leased before rehab begins is proving to be a tall hurdle. Discussions are ongoing in regards to how the building should be used, but possibilities include residential, commercial, recreation and/or government offices. The building exhibits remarkably high architectural and interior integrity, including original floors, doors, transoms, and exterior windows.

The Town of Brush has allocated significant financial resources to a highly successful streetscaping project, and many in town see the successful rehabilitation and use of Central School as the next logical step towards reaching the town’s beautification and economic development goals.

Additional Links:

None at this time

Donate to CPI

We hope you will extend your appreciation for Colorado's past into an investment in its future by making a tax-deductible gift today.

Featured Project

4 Bar 4 Ranch

Homesteaded in 1895 by Dick McQueary to provide a stop for the Georgetown Stage Line, the 320-acre 4 Bar 4 Ranch has strong ties to Grand County and Colorado's heritage. The Georgetown Stage Line traveled on the road through the 4 Bar 4 Ranch from Idaho Springs to Hot Sulphur Springs over Berthoud Pass. In 1895 a roadhouse and stage stop were constructed on the ranch. The hotel and barn were constructed using trees from the Ranch property, and the hotel remained open for travelers coming over Berthoud Pass by horseback and wagon until 1913. With the coming of the automobile, the roadway over Berthoud Pass and through the 4 Bar 4 Ranch was considered an integral part of the Trans-Continental “Midland Trail” highway. Following the closing of the stage line, the ranch continued to host travelers until 1912 or 1913 when it was purchased and converted into a Ford Motor Company . Ford vehicles were sold here until 1917, when Harry Larkin purchased the ranch site. Today emergency efforts are underway to ensure it survives through the winter. Donations are in need. To learn more, contact Jennifer Orrigo Charles at jorrigocharlges@coloradopreservation.org.

Join our Email List