Crossan’s Market

Year Listed: 2012
County: Yampa, Routt County
Construction Date: 1903
Threat When Listed: Demolition by Neglect – Vacant


Built in 1903, Crossan’s Market is an excellent and intact example of a small town mercantile building that stands as evidence to the development of Yampa and the surrounding agricultural economy. Closed in the mid-1960s after a competing merchant purchased the business and building, Crossan’s Market is a time capsule to an earlier time. Shelves stocked with merchandise from the 1960s are still present and calendars on the wall still hang open to 1964. The building has been owned by the City of Yampa since late 2006.

Unfortunately, regular building maintenance also largely ended in the 1960s. A recent HSA identified more than a dozen critical and serious deficiencies, perhaps most importantly a failed foundation that is causing the building to shift and fall. The Friends of the Crossan’s M&A Market are a dedicated group of local volunteers that have spent more than 500 hours cleaning, researching and stabilizing the building, but with an extreme climate and the limited financial resources of a town of 500 people, the building desperately needs additional help.

There are many potential uses for Crossan’s Market, including exhibit and archive space for the Yampa-Egeria Historical Society, the Yampa Town Hall, offices for the South Routt Economic Development Council, and/or a visitor’s center.  Historic Routt County is a strong advocate for the building and the project. Advocates for the building believe a successful rehab of the building would provide economic development opportunities for Yampa and the region, and also provide an invaluable case study for other small, isolated, rural communities with deteriorated historic building stock.

Additional Links:
Friends of Crossan’s M & A Market: Donate to Help Save the Market
Follow the Friends of Crossan’s Market on Facebook

Donate to CPI

We hope you will extend your appreciation for Colorado's past into an investment in its future by making a tax-deductible gift today.

Featured Project

4 Bar 4 Ranch

Homesteaded in 1895 by Dick McQueary to provide a stop for the Georgetown Stage Line, the 320-acre 4 Bar 4 Ranch has strong ties to Grand County and Colorado's heritage. The Georgetown Stage Line traveled on the road through the 4 Bar 4 Ranch from Idaho Springs to Hot Sulphur Springs over Berthoud Pass. In 1895 a roadhouse and stage stop were constructed on the ranch. The hotel and barn were constructed using trees from the Ranch property, and the hotel remained open for travelers coming over Berthoud Pass by horseback and wagon until 1913. With the coming of the automobile, the roadway over Berthoud Pass and through the 4 Bar 4 Ranch was considered an integral part of the Trans-Continental “Midland Trail” highway. Following the closing of the stage line, the ranch continued to host travelers until 1912 or 1913 when it was purchased and converted into a Ford Motor Company . Ford vehicles were sold here until 1917, when Harry Larkin purchased the ranch site. Today emergency efforts are underway to ensure it survives through the winter. Donations are in need. To learn more, contact Jennifer Orrigo Charles at

Join our Email List