Christian Science Church

Year Listed: 1998
County: Teller County
Construction Date: 1880s
Threat When Listed: Demolition by Neglect – Condemned
Status: LOST-2000

The Christian Science Church was constructed at the turn of the 20th century as a saloon and bowling hall.  The property was converted to a church in the early 1900s.  Located within Victor’s downtown National Register Historic District, this rare architecturally designed building stood as an example of  the town’s rich mining history and architectural heritage.

Over the years, the building had developed severe cracks in its walls, which required the city to close off the street immediately in front of it over concern of public safety.  The owners of the building had placed it on the  market hoping a preservation minded buyer would rehabilitate the building, but an attempt to find a buyer was unsuccessful and the building was deemed a hazard and demolished. This loss provided a wake-up call to citizens of Victor that more resources would be lost without a stepped-up effort to preserve them.

Clip of the building in the opening credits of the Outer Limits television show

Additional Links:
Victor Heritage Society

Donate to CPI

We hope you will extend your appreciation for Colorado's past into an investment in its future by making a tax-deductible gift today.

Featured Project

4 Bar 4 Ranch

Homesteaded in 1895 by Dick McQueary to provide a stop for the Georgetown Stage Line, the 320-acre 4 Bar 4 Ranch has strong ties to Grand County and Colorado's heritage. The Georgetown Stage Line traveled on the road through the 4 Bar 4 Ranch from Idaho Springs to Hot Sulphur Springs over Berthoud Pass. In 1895 a roadhouse and stage stop were constructed on the ranch. The hotel and barn were constructed using trees from the Ranch property, and the hotel remained open for travelers coming over Berthoud Pass by horseback and wagon until 1913. With the coming of the automobile, the roadway over Berthoud Pass and through the 4 Bar 4 Ranch was considered an integral part of the Trans-Continental “Midland Trail” highway. Following the closing of the stage line, the ranch continued to host travelers until 1912 or 1913 when it was purchased and converted into a Ford Motor Company . Ford vehicles were sold here until 1917, when Harry Larkin purchased the ranch site. Today emergency efforts are underway to ensure it survives through the winter. Donations are in need. To learn more, contact Jennifer Orrigo Charles at

Join our Email List