Downtown Greeley

Year Listed: 2000
County: Weld County
Construction Date: 1890-1930
Threat When Listed: Development
Status: SAVE-2012

Greeley’s Downtown Development Authority was created in 1998 and nominated Greeley as one of Colorado’s Most Endangered Places due to threats brought about as a result of economic deterioration, urban growth to the west, and a high vacancy rate of its downtown buildings. Downtown Greeley was a thriving urban center until the mid-1970s, and was even made internationally famous by the novel, “Centennial.”  The area listed contains many structures significant to Greeley’s history and development including the:  Buckingham Gordon Building, the Greeley Tribune Building, the Hawes Building, the New Cash La Pouder Irrigation Company Building, the Marlborough Building, and the Camfield Court Building.

After being listed on the Endangered Places, the Downtown Development Authority, along with the support of the Greeley Historic Preservation Commission, built a strong support network of business professionals through the Main Street Board, began Plaza redevelopment, opening plazas to automobile traffic, and removed some of the newer facades to reveal historic storefronts, which in turn began bringing businesses back to the district.  Momentum of the preservation of downtown grew when Greeley became part of Colorado’s Main Street program in 2001.  Main Street, a downtown revitalization program assists with the revitalization of downtown based on four points: organization, promotion, economic restructuring, and design.  Private LLC’s purchased and rehabilitated key properties in the downtown district.  These projects served as a catalyst to demonstrate the potential of older properties and underscore the economic power of historic preservation.  These factors lead to the listing being considered a “save” in 2012.

Additional Links:
City of Greeley


Donate to CPI

We hope you will extend your appreciation for Colorado's past into an investment in its future by making a tax-deductible gift today.

Featured Project

4 Bar 4 Ranch

Homesteaded in 1895 by Dick McQueary to provide a stop for the Georgetown Stage Line, the 320-acre 4 Bar 4 Ranch has strong ties to Grand County and Colorado's heritage. The Georgetown Stage Line traveled on the road through the 4 Bar 4 Ranch from Idaho Springs to Hot Sulphur Springs over Berthoud Pass. In 1895 a roadhouse and stage stop were constructed on the ranch. The hotel and barn were constructed using trees from the Ranch property, and the hotel remained open for travelers coming over Berthoud Pass by horseback and wagon until 1913. With the coming of the automobile, the roadway over Berthoud Pass and through the 4 Bar 4 Ranch was considered an integral part of the Trans-Continental “Midland Trail” highway. Following the closing of the stage line, the ranch continued to host travelers until 1912 or 1913 when it was purchased and converted into a Ford Motor Company . Ford vehicles were sold here until 1917, when Harry Larkin purchased the ranch site. Today emergency efforts are underway to ensure it survives through the winter. Donations are in need. To learn more, contact Jennifer Orrigo Charles at

Join our Email List