El Corazon de Trinidad

Year Listed: 2000
County: Las Animas County
Construction Date: 1878
Threat When Listed: Various
Status: IN PROGRESS
 

On the National Register of Historic Places and an official Save America’s Treasures project, the El Corazon de Trinidad district in central Trinidad served as the retail, financial, and cultural hub of southern Colorado since the arrival of the railroad and development of nearby coalfields in the 1870s. It is thought to be one of the most intact 19th century towns in Colorado.

Funding from the State Historical Fund and others was secured to help develop a preservation ordinance and complete a comprehensive building survey. The City of Trinidad has been encouraged by an upturn in business and renewed interest to utilize existing structures including the Trinidad Opera House, the McCormick Building, and the Toltec Hotel.

In 2003, Colorado Preservation, Inc. applied for (and received) a State Historical Fund grant to begin critical stabilization work on Temple Aaron located within the district. With the initial phase complete, Phase II stabilization was funded in 2005 by private donations and the State Historical Fund.

Additional Links:
City of Trinidad

 

Donate to CPI

We hope you will extend your appreciation for Colorado's past into an investment in its future by making a tax-deductible gift today.

Featured Project

4 Bar 4 Ranch

Homesteaded in 1895 by Dick McQueary to provide a stop for the Georgetown Stage Line, the 320-acre 4 Bar 4 Ranch has strong ties to Grand County and Colorado's heritage. The Georgetown Stage Line traveled on the road through the 4 Bar 4 Ranch from Idaho Springs to Hot Sulphur Springs over Berthoud Pass. In 1895 a roadhouse and stage stop were constructed on the ranch. The hotel and barn were constructed using trees from the Ranch property, and the hotel remained open for travelers coming over Berthoud Pass by horseback and wagon until 1913. With the coming of the automobile, the roadway over Berthoud Pass and through the 4 Bar 4 Ranch was considered an integral part of the Trans-Continental “Midland Trail” highway. Following the closing of the stage line, the ranch continued to host travelers until 1912 or 1913 when it was purchased and converted into a Ford Motor Company . Ford vehicles were sold here until 1917, when Harry Larkin purchased the ranch site. Today emergency efforts are underway to ensure it survives through the winter. Donations are in need. To learn more, contact Jennifer Orrigo Charles at jorrigocharlges@coloradopreservation.org.

Join our Email List