Hugo Roundhouse

Year Listed: 2002
County: Lincoln County
Construction Date: 1909
Threat When Listed: Demolition by Neglect – Vacant
Status: IN PROGRESS
 

Listed on the State Register of Historic Properties, the Union Pacific Railroad roundhouse was established in 1909, and is the only brick-constructed roundhouse in the Union Pacific inventory.

Roundhouse Preservation, Inc., the nonprofit formed by concerned local citizens to develop and implement a preservation plan for the Roundhouse has produced a great deal of progress and success in recent years.  Even after strong winds toppled nearly the entire north wall, insurance funds were fortunately available to complete a high quality masonry reconstruction.  Due to an ongoing cooperation between Roundhouse Preservation, Inc. and the Colorado Department of Transportation, the Roundhouse was recently selected to receive $555,000 in federal stimulus funds from the American Recovery and Reinvestment Act of 2009 for the rehabilitation of the entire roof structure.  The next phase of work will include restoration of the windows and doors towards the eventual reuse of the Roundhouse as a museum and community meeting space.

Last Update: October 2009

Additional Links:
Hugo Union Pacific Roundhouse Preservation 

Donate to CPI

We hope you will extend your appreciation for Colorado's past into an investment in its future by making a tax-deductible gift today.

Featured Project

4 Bar 4 Ranch

Homesteaded in 1895 by Dick McQueary to provide a stop for the Georgetown Stage Line, the 320-acre 4 Bar 4 Ranch has strong ties to Grand County and Colorado's heritage. The Georgetown Stage Line traveled on the road through the 4 Bar 4 Ranch from Idaho Springs to Hot Sulphur Springs over Berthoud Pass. In 1895 a roadhouse and stage stop were constructed on the ranch. The hotel and barn were constructed using trees from the Ranch property, and the hotel remained open for travelers coming over Berthoud Pass by horseback and wagon until 1913. With the coming of the automobile, the roadway over Berthoud Pass and through the 4 Bar 4 Ranch was considered an integral part of the Trans-Continental “Midland Trail” highway. Following the closing of the stage line, the ranch continued to host travelers until 1912 or 1913 when it was purchased and converted into a Ford Motor Company . Ford vehicles were sold here until 1917, when Harry Larkin purchased the ranch site. Today emergency efforts are underway to ensure it survives through the winter. Donations are in need. To learn more, contact Jennifer Orrigo Charles at jorrigocharlges@coloradopreservation.org.

Join our Email List