Manitou Springs Spa

Year Listed: 2000
County: El Paso County
Construction Date: 1920
Threat When Listed: Natural Elements – Flooding, Demolition by Neglect
Status: SAVE
 

One of oldest surviving reminders of century-old natural springs tourism in Manitou Springs. Listed on the National Register of Historic Places, a Local Landmark, and a Save America’s Treasures Project, the spa retains original murals, marble floors and a beautiful bar.

At the time of listing on the Endangered Places Program, the city of Manitou Springs threatened condemnation and demolition due to the condition of the building and its owner’s inability to sell. Colorado Preservation, Inc. began working with the mayor, owner, real estate agent, architects, engineers, and potential investors stressing the historical significance of the building and its potential to be a tremendous asset to the city.  Colorado Preservation, Inc provided letters of support for the building and technical support to ensure demolition was not the only option.  Several potential buyers surfaced and, in 2005, the building was purchased by partners planning who have successfully completed the rehabilitation project. The building now has commercial space on the main floor and residential units on the upper two floors.

Additional Links:
Historic Manitou Springs

Donate to CPI

We hope you will extend your appreciation for Colorado's past into an investment in its future by making a tax-deductible gift today.

Featured Project

4 Bar 4 Ranch

Homesteaded in 1895 by Dick McQueary to provide a stop for the Georgetown Stage Line, the 320-acre 4 Bar 4 Ranch has strong ties to Grand County and Colorado's heritage. The Georgetown Stage Line traveled on the road through the 4 Bar 4 Ranch from Idaho Springs to Hot Sulphur Springs over Berthoud Pass. In 1895 a roadhouse and stage stop were constructed on the ranch. The hotel and barn were constructed using trees from the Ranch property, and the hotel remained open for travelers coming over Berthoud Pass by horseback and wagon until 1913. With the coming of the automobile, the roadway over Berthoud Pass and through the 4 Bar 4 Ranch was considered an integral part of the Trans-Continental “Midland Trail” highway. Following the closing of the stage line, the ranch continued to host travelers until 1912 or 1913 when it was purchased and converted into a Ford Motor Company . Ford vehicles were sold here until 1917, when Harry Larkin purchased the ranch site. Today emergency efforts are underway to ensure it survives through the winter. Donations are in need. To learn more, contact Jennifer Orrigo Charles at jorrigocharlges@coloradopreservation.org.

Join our Email List