McLaughlin Building

Year Listed: 2007
County: Pueblo County
Construction Date: 1891
Threat When Listed: Demolition by Neglect – Vacant
Status: ALERT

The McLaughlin Block was built in 1891 in the Victorian Eclectic style with Romanesque features.  The building was erected in dedication to Michael McLaughlin who died in 1888.  Originally constructed as a multi-purpose building it contained a hotel and on the commercial area two saloons, two restaurants, a barbershop and a shoe shop.  Before 1921, there was a garden level in the front of the building that was never unearthed after the flood later that year filled the area with mud and debris.  This three-story building was a vital structure in Pueblo’s Union Avenue Historic Commercial District.  The Union Avenue area was placed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1983.

The building continues to stand vacant; however, recent changes to Colorado’s historic preservation tax credit hope to ensure an opportunity for investment potentials with this significant building.

Additional Links:

Historic Pueblo, Inc.

Donate to CPI

We hope you will extend your appreciation for Colorado's past into an investment in its future by making a tax-deductible gift today.

Featured Project

4 Bar 4 Ranch

Homesteaded in 1895 by Dick McQueary to provide a stop for the Georgetown Stage Line, the 320-acre 4 Bar 4 Ranch has strong ties to Grand County and Colorado's heritage. The Georgetown Stage Line traveled on the road through the 4 Bar 4 Ranch from Idaho Springs to Hot Sulphur Springs over Berthoud Pass. In 1895 a roadhouse and stage stop were constructed on the ranch. The hotel and barn were constructed using trees from the Ranch property, and the hotel remained open for travelers coming over Berthoud Pass by horseback and wagon until 1913. With the coming of the automobile, the roadway over Berthoud Pass and through the 4 Bar 4 Ranch was considered an integral part of the Trans-Continental “Midland Trail” highway. Following the closing of the stage line, the ranch continued to host travelers until 1912 or 1913 when it was purchased and converted into a Ford Motor Company . Ford vehicles were sold here until 1917, when Harry Larkin purchased the ranch site. Today emergency efforts are underway to ensure it survives through the winter. Donations are in need. To learn more, contact Jennifer Orrigo Charles at

Join our Email List