Columbian Elementary School

Year Listed: 2004
County: Las Animas County
Construction Date: 1916
Threat When Listed: Demolition
Status: LOST – 2006

The Columbian Elementary School was constructed in 1916 to replace the first Columbian School constructed in 1887.  The Columbian Elementary School was constructed with an inner grassy courtyard and colonnade of brick arches reminiscent of a time when forts were necessary to protect early pioneers and settlers.  The school is associated with significant individuals including U.S. Ambassador Llewellyn Thompson and Ken Curtis, “Festus” of Gunsmoke, both of whom also attended Bent County High School. The school’s inner courtyard is reminiscent of a time when forts were necessary to protect early settlers, a reminder of the significant historic landmarks of the area, namely the Santa Fe Trail, Boggsville, and Bent’s Old Fort National Historic Site.

The building was abandoned for the newly completed Las Animas Elementary School and bids began coming in for its demolition.  Supporters hoped to find a re-use for the building, but school officials favored demolition. Despite Colorado Preservation, Inc.’s efforts with the local school board, the Columbian School came down in February of 2006, despite a purchase offer from a Las Animas resident rejected by the school board. Superintendent Scott Cuckow when questioned about the offer stated the school board would “consider, but probably not accept the offer, I highly doubt that they are going to accept the proposal, Columbian is not for sale because we need that property for playground space and for a bus loop for the safety of our kids. We do not need a building that no longer serves its purpose and a building that will be too expensive to maintain.”

Additional Links:

None at this time

Donate to CPI

We hope you will extend your appreciation for Colorado's past into an investment in its future by making a tax-deductible gift today.

Featured Project

For Sale: Grand Junction Railroad Depot

Built in 1906, the Denver and Rio Grande Western Railroad Depot in Grand Junction was once considered to the finest depot of its size in the West. Constructed of white brick with fine terra cotta details, the Depot featured a glass passenger canopy, large arched stained-glass windows, and an interior with 22-foot ceilings, solid oak trim and plaster pilasters.The Grand Junction Depot was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1992. Unfortunately, the Depot has fallen out of service and now stands vacant, but is currently up for sale. The great downtown Grand Junction location, beautiful construction, and historical significance make it an excellent opportunity for the right buyer! The seller will look at an exchange or owner carry terms, grant funding may also be available. To learn more, contact Omar Richardson at 855-518-0729, or click the read more link to see the for sale listing online.

Read More

Join our Email List