Year Listed: 2001
County: Mesa County
Construction Date: 1909
Threat When Listed: Road Configuration
Status: IN PROGRESS
In 1909, Nunzio Grasso constructed the rusticated sandstone Stranges Grocery Store, now the last remaining building in what used to be Grand Junction’s “Little Italy.”
The building has become part of the West-Side Redevelopment Area. The City of Grand Junction designed their road re-configuration to avoid affecting the store. Colorado Preservation, Inc. contacted the owner, who returned to Colorado after the listing. The owner is now working with the City of Grand Junction to incorporate preservation of the store into the city’s master plan for improvement of the neighborhood.