Studzinski Block and Holden Block Buildings

Year Listed: 2001
County: PuebloCounty
Construction Date: Late 1800s
Threat When Listed: Demolition, Development
Status: SAVE – 2008
 

Century-old Victorian commercial buildings which occupy an important place in the commercial history of the City of Pueblo.

Fueled by press about the listing, the public rallied to convince the owners of the block not to demolish the buildings. When first listed, Pueblo County officials wanted to demolish the buildings in favor of a “landscaped parking lot” to serve the Sangre de Cristo Arts and Conference Center.  After weeks of negotiations, the commissioners and City Council reached a land-swap deal that took demolition off the table.

The Studzinski Block and Holden Block buildings were sold to the Pueblo Housing Administration and designated a Local Landmark. The Pueblo Housing Administration, with the help of the Downtown Association and Colorado Preservation, Inc., used tax credits to rehabilitate the buildings. The rehabilitation of the Studzinski Block was finished in August 2005, and the Holden Block is now also complete. When removing plaster and stucco during renovation, the city discovered original stained glass windows and an advertisement painted on the side of the building, now restored. Both buildings have reached full occupancy in residential spaces on the upper floors and there are commercial spaces on the first floor. The infill between the two blocks is compatible in design as approved by the Pueblo Historic Preservation Commission.

Additional Links:

None at this time

Donate to CPI

We hope you will extend your appreciation for Colorado's past into an investment in its future by making a tax-deductible gift today.

Featured Project

4 Bar 4 Ranch

Homesteaded in 1895 by Dick McQueary to provide a stop for the Georgetown Stage Line, the 320-acre 4 Bar 4 Ranch has strong ties to Grand County and Colorado's heritage. The Georgetown Stage Line traveled on the road through the 4 Bar 4 Ranch from Idaho Springs to Hot Sulphur Springs over Berthoud Pass. In 1895 a roadhouse and stage stop were constructed on the ranch. The hotel and barn were constructed using trees from the Ranch property, and the hotel remained open for travelers coming over Berthoud Pass by horseback and wagon until 1913. With the coming of the automobile, the roadway over Berthoud Pass and through the 4 Bar 4 Ranch was considered an integral part of the Trans-Continental “Midland Trail” highway. Following the closing of the stage line, the ranch continued to host travelers until 1912 or 1913 when it was purchased and converted into a Ford Motor Company . Ford vehicles were sold here until 1917, when Harry Larkin purchased the ranch site. Today emergency efforts are underway to ensure it survives through the winter. Donations are in need. To learn more, contact Jennifer Orrigo Charles at jorrigocharlges@coloradopreservation.org.

Join our Email List