The City Ditch

Year Listed: 2003
County: Douglas, Arapahoe, Denver County
Construction Date: 1865 completed
Threat When Listed: Highway Expansion
Status: SAVE
 
 

Built in the 1860s, this 26-mile hand-dug ditch introduced irrigation and “greening” to a brown and dusty Denver. It was called an engineering marvel for its use of gravity alone to carry water from the Platte River northward, and became a hub for off shoot ditches that attracted newcomers and broadened the “greening” for miles to the west and east. One section, in Washington Park, is listed on the National Register of Historic Places, and is a local landmark that supports wildlife, vegetation and century old trees.  City Ditch in the Denver area is one of more than 20,000 irrigation ditches and canals in Colorado.  Only a few are as old as City Ditch.  The ditch originates at Chatfield Reservoir and carries the waters of the South Platte River as it winds its way for more than twenty miles through Englewood and Denver.  It fills the tow lakes in Washington Park in Denver, and then makes its way to fill the lake in City Park.

When City Ditch was first listed on the Endangered Places list, the Denver Water Board has intended to abandon a significant part of the historic ditch in order to not rebuild a transition under Interstate 25 to accompany the highway widening project.  This abandonment would dry up the ditch along its route through Englewood and Denver north of Hampden Avenue, a stretch of several miles.   Since listing, partnerships were formed and the City Ditch is now a Save!  As a result of a collaborative agreement between the City of Englewood Utilities Department, the Denver Water Board, the Denver Parks and Recreation Department, a concerned neighborhood group and Colorado Preservation, Inc., City Ditch continues to convey water and serve irrigation and recreation needs along its 25-mile length.

Denver Parks and Recreation is currently working on a preservation plan for the ditch-related structures in Washington Park and determining the best approach to address issues of erosion and access to the ditch for users of the park.  The City of Englewood is working in cooperation with the neighborhood group to install interpretive signage to help tell the story of City Ditch.

Additional Links:

Denver Water Website: History City Ditch

Donate to CPI

We hope you will extend your appreciation for Colorado's past into an investment in its future by making a tax-deductible gift today.

Featured Project

4 Bar 4 Ranch

Homesteaded in 1895 by Dick McQueary to provide a stop for the Georgetown Stage Line, the 320-acre 4 Bar 4 Ranch has strong ties to Grand County and Colorado's heritage. The Georgetown Stage Line traveled on the road through the 4 Bar 4 Ranch from Idaho Springs to Hot Sulphur Springs over Berthoud Pass. In 1895 a roadhouse and stage stop were constructed on the ranch. The hotel and barn were constructed using trees from the Ranch property, and the hotel remained open for travelers coming over Berthoud Pass by horseback and wagon until 1913. With the coming of the automobile, the roadway over Berthoud Pass and through the 4 Bar 4 Ranch was considered an integral part of the Trans-Continental “Midland Trail” highway. Following the closing of the stage line, the ranch continued to host travelers until 1912 or 1913 when it was purchased and converted into a Ford Motor Company . Ford vehicles were sold here until 1917, when Harry Larkin purchased the ranch site. Today emergency efforts are underway to ensure it survives through the winter. Donations are in need. To learn more, contact Jennifer Orrigo Charles at jorrigocharlges@coloradopreservation.org.

Join our Email List