Walsen Power Plant

Year Listed: 2009
County: Huerfano County
Construction Date: Early 20th Century
Threat When Listed: Demolition by Neglect – Vacant
Status: ALERT
 

Built to provide energy to the Walsen Mine, Walsen Camp, and the town of Walsenburg, the power plant is the last remaining structure of the once bustling Walsen Camp, a coal mining settlement dating from the late 1870s. At its peak the Walsen Camp boasted over 200 homes and a population of 1,200.

The building suffers from years of neglect, vandalism, and scrap metal scavenging. The current owner has an eight-foot chain link and barbwire fence surrounding the perimeter of the building but vandalism and scavenging continues. With the high value of scrap metal the building will continue to be a prime target.

The power plant is currently for sale with the goal of finding a preservation-minded buyer.  The current real estate broker is sensitive to historic preservation.

Additional Links:

Walsenburg Power Plant Facebook Page
Purchase the Walsen Power Plant: Real Estate Listing

Donate to CPI

We hope you will extend your appreciation for Colorado's past into an investment in its future by making a tax-deductible gift today.

Featured Project

4 Bar 4 Ranch

Homesteaded in 1895 by Dick McQueary to provide a stop for the Georgetown Stage Line, the 320-acre 4 Bar 4 Ranch has strong ties to Grand County and Colorado's heritage. The Georgetown Stage Line traveled on the road through the 4 Bar 4 Ranch from Idaho Springs to Hot Sulphur Springs over Berthoud Pass. In 1895 a roadhouse and stage stop were constructed on the ranch. The hotel and barn were constructed using trees from the Ranch property, and the hotel remained open for travelers coming over Berthoud Pass by horseback and wagon until 1913. With the coming of the automobile, the roadway over Berthoud Pass and through the 4 Bar 4 Ranch was considered an integral part of the Trans-Continental “Midland Trail” highway. Following the closing of the stage line, the ranch continued to host travelers until 1912 or 1913 when it was purchased and converted into a Ford Motor Company . Ford vehicles were sold here until 1917, when Harry Larkin purchased the ranch site. Today emergency efforts are underway to ensure it survives through the winter. Donations are in need. To learn more, contact Jennifer Orrigo Charles at jorrigocharlges@coloradopreservation.org.

Join our Email List