The Historic Eastside Neighborhood

Year Listed: 2012
County: Pueblo County
Construction Date: Various – 1872-1940
Threat When Listed: Various
Status: IN PROGRESS
 

The Historic Eastside Neighborhood in Pueblo is part of the larger Eastside neighborhood, but focuses on the residential and commercial district that was largely developed between 1880 and 1940. The neighborhood is physically separated from the rest of Pueblo by Fountain Creek and has historically been home to a mix of classes and ethnicities. In financial decline since the 1980s, the Eastside neighborhood is now 80% Hispanic and suffers from a lack of public amenities found in wealthier Pueblo neighborhoods. The historic Eastside features a wide range of architectural styles, including a highly unusual proliferation of Princess Ann style cottages with canted entrances, but the one commonality is that many of the historic homes are in poor condition.

The Eastside neighborhood suffers from a negative perception and the subsequent disinvestment has been disastrous. Vacancy rates are high, and many of the houses and businesses that are occupied suffer from deferred maintenance. Homes in the Historic Eastside neighborhood can be purchased for as little as $10,000.

City Officials have recognized the importance of the neighborhood and hired a planner to focus specifically on the Eastside neighborhood, with particular attention on economic development issues. A historic context report of the neighborhood (A Place Set Apart: The History and Architecture of Pueblo’s East Side Neighborhood) was published in 2009 and has increased awareness of the historic significance of the neighborhood. Recent focus has centered on the “Little Red House” and the neighboring community garden, a series of terrace block apartment buildings that have been rehabbed by the Housing Authority for permanently disabled veterans.

Additional Links:
City of Pueblo: Historic Preservation Efforts
East Side Historic Context

Donate to CPI

We hope you will extend your appreciation for Colorado's past into an investment in its future by making a tax-deductible gift today.

Featured Project

4 Bar 4 Ranch

Homesteaded in 1895 by Dick McQueary to provide a stop for the Georgetown Stage Line, the 320-acre 4 Bar 4 Ranch has strong ties to Grand County and Colorado's heritage. The Georgetown Stage Line traveled on the road through the 4 Bar 4 Ranch from Idaho Springs to Hot Sulphur Springs over Berthoud Pass. In 1895 a roadhouse and stage stop were constructed on the ranch. The hotel and barn were constructed using trees from the Ranch property, and the hotel remained open for travelers coming over Berthoud Pass by horseback and wagon until 1913. With the coming of the automobile, the roadway over Berthoud Pass and through the 4 Bar 4 Ranch was considered an integral part of the Trans-Continental “Midland Trail” highway. Following the closing of the stage line, the ranch continued to host travelers until 1912 or 1913 when it was purchased and converted into a Ford Motor Company . Ford vehicles were sold here until 1917, when Harry Larkin purchased the ranch site. Today emergency efforts are underway to ensure it survives through the winter. Donations are in need. To learn more, contact Jennifer Orrigo Charles at jorrigocharlges@coloradopreservation.org.

Join our Email List