Date of Construction
c1864 with several additions through 1911
Originally constructed ca. 1864 by Thomas Skerritt, the “father” of Englewood, he and his family lived in the house between 1864 and 1943. The Skerritt family made several additions to the house during the time they lived there. Since the Skerritts moved out, alterations converted the interior from a single-family residence to multiple apartments and back to single-family again. Although the living areas retained little of their historic fabric, the exterior structure remained substantially intact after 1911.
In April 2003, Colorado Preservation, Inc. purchased the Skerritt House from the City of Englewood with the assistance of a grant from the State Historical Fund. Between January 2004 and May 2005, Colorado Preservation, Inc. completed an extensive rehabilitation of both the interior and exterior of the home. A preservation easement was placed on the property in July 2005 with Historic Denver, Inc. The Skerritt House was sold in July 2005 to a private business. A chiropractor’s office opened in the historic home in January 2006.
Project financed in part through a grant from the State Historical Fund and a loan from the Colorado Historical Foundation.