Denver, CO (located within the former Stapleton International Airport complex)
Date of Construction
History of the Hangar
Constructed in 1959 within Denver’s former Stapleton International Airport complex, the Ideal Basic Cement Corporate Hangar (now known as Hangar 61), an 8,500 square foot cement structure, is an example of sophisticated engineering creating an innovative architectural design. The Hangar was engineered by Milo S. Ketchum, a senior partner in the Denver firm of Ketchum &Konkel, and designed by Fisher, Fisher and Davis. In 1995, the City and County of Denver closed Stapleton International Airport and opened Denver International Airport twenty miles to the east. As development was taking shape at Stapleton, no use had been found for Hangar 61 and the possibility of demolition seemed eminent. In the spring of 2005, the property was nominated for and named to Colorado’s Most Endangered Places List and subsequently nominated for designation as a Denver Landmark.
Colorado Preservation, Inc. purchased the property and in partnership with 620 Corp., a private developer, developed construction documents for its reuse. Structural and exterior repairs were the first phase of the rehabilitation work. During this time, the property was continually marketed in the hopes that a buyer could be located to assist with the design of the interior. On May 10th, 2010 the Hangar was sold to the Stapleton Fellowship Church. Their plans for the interior include a 300-seat auditorium, state-of-the-art stage, children’s ministry space, and gathering areas to be made available for public use.
Project was supported by Colorado Preservation, Inc., 620 Corp., the National Trust for Historic Preservation, and the State Historical Fund.