Project Update: Temple Aaron

Turn up the Heat Boiler Campaign Mounted for Temple Aaron

While August 2020 may be historically hot here in Colorado, Temple Aaron – listed as one of Colorado’s Most Endangered Places by Colorado Preservation, Inc. in 2017 – is thinking even warmer thoughts by launching its Turn Up the Heat campaign to replace the ancient boiler that quit several years ago. Thanks to many generous donors, the Temple board of directors made major progress in raising the $60,000 estimated cost of boiler replacement in the unique, historically significant building that overlooks downtown Trinidad. The effort started with a challenge from Denver businessman and philanthropist Larry A. Mizel, who pledged to provide the final 20 percent of the goal needed if the Temple board could procure the other 80 percent. Major gifts from Evan Makovsky and friends who recently visited the Temple, and from Les Limon of Twin Enviro Services of Trinidad helped raise more than 50 percent of the goal needed.

Returning heat to the building is key to ensuring year-round services and programming continue fostering a future for Temple Aaron. An inaugural membership campaign is also underway, with several new members signing up at the Lifetime Membership level of $1,800. Temple Aaron welcomes gifts of any size to continue building strong community support for the future. As board member Sherry Glickman Knecht stressed, “Time is our newest challenge—to warm the heart, soul, and bones of our great Temple for this coming winter, we are seeking to raise the remaining $30,000 within the next 30 days! Let’s not let her get cold again … Let’s Turn Up The Heat!”

Temple Aaron will host an open house for interested members of the public, as part of the Trails to Trinidad event benefitting Fisher’s Peak State Park, and the 1908 Fox West Theatre, 10 a.m.–1 p.m. on Sunday, Sept. 26. Admission is $10 at the door with bagels and lox, and conversation provided. For information about the Trails to Trinidad event, go to FoxWestTheatre.com. For information about the Temple boiler campaign, membership, or the open house, visit templeaaron.org or email info@templeaaron.org.

This entry was posted in News. Bookmark the permalink. Both comments and trackbacks are currently closed.

Donate to CPI

We hope you will extend your appreciation for Colorado's heritage by helping us take advantage of this $1 to $1 matching campaign. Learn more about our matching campaign and make your tax-deductible donation today!

Matching Campaign

Thank you to our donors for this matching campaign!
 

 

Kelly and Peter Merrion

Blair and Chris Miller

Keith and Carmen Willy

Mike and Anne Coughlin

Steven Turner and  Steven Kick

T. Drew Notestine

Anonymous

Elaine Freed

Megan Concannon

Nicole Hernandez

Ron and Linde Thompson

Dan Corson

Lucas Schneider

Jon Nathan Schler

Jane and Phil Watkins

Ariel Steele 

Kimberly Kintz

Lisa A. Stegman

Graham Johnson

James and Joan Kroll

James Hewat

JoVonne P. Fitzgerald

Jennifer Wahlers

Stephen Blitz

Arianthé Stettner

Ann Mullins

R. Michael Bell

Nan and Dave Anderson

Patrick Eidman

Beverly Rich

Jane Daniels

Kaaren Hardy

Cynthia Pond

Rheba Massey

Katherine Woods and Christopher Koziol

Dave Lively

Paul O’Rourke

Lisa May

Sally Hopper

Ann Alexander Walker

Julie Johnson

Anonymous

Judith W. Amico

Featured Project

Preservation for a Changing Colorado

The 2017 update, Preservation for a Changing Colorado, resulted from a partnership between Colorado Preservation and History Colorado and Colorado Preservation, Inc. Prepared by Clarion Associates, the new report and accompanying website document the economic benefits of rehabilitation projects, analyzes property values and neighborhood stability in local historic districts, and summarizes the increasing impact of heritage tourism, private preservation development and the success of Colorado’s Main Street program. In a key finding, researchers found that for every $1 million spent on historic preservation in Colorado leads to $1.03 million in additional spending, 14 new jobs, and $636,700 in increased household incomes across the state! The 2017 report also considers the important role preservation plays in helping Coloradans provide new spaces for creative communities and co-working, create and sustain meaningful places, respond to the state’s changing demographics, and address climate concerns. Click Here to see the full report, "Preservation for a Changing Colorado".