Denver Tramway Company Streetcar No.4

tram 2tram1
Year Listed: 2015
County: Jefferson County
Construction Date: 1911
Threat When Listed: Demolition by Neglect – Vacant
Status: ALERT

Video courtesy of CBS4

On July 3, 1950 the clatter of Denver’s once thriving transportation system fell quiet as the last streetcar for the Denver Tramway Company (Streetcar No.04) completed its final route.

Today, Streetcar No. 04 is one of the only remaining streetcars from the Denver Tramway Company, a rare narrow gauge car, which at one time carried passengers from downtown Denver to Lakeside Amusement Park, Berkeley Park, Arvada, Golden, and beyond.  For nearly fifty years the electric streetcar served as the main link from Denver to the suburbs, a beloved icon that was one of the most advanced transportation systems of the nineteenth century.  Built in 1911, Streetcar No.04 serviced commuters for 40 years running until 1950. The car was one of four converted from a standard gauge rail to a narrow gauge in 1924 and is the only surviving narrow gauge car.

Denver’s streetcar system began 12 years after the founding of the city and physically shaped Denver as we know it today.  The story of Denver’s streetcar system tells the evolution of the city, which is still evident in Denver’s embedded commercial districts that emerged as key stops on the robust streetcar network.  For nearly 40 years, Denver streetcars transported passengers throughout the city for work, play, and errands.  At the height of trolley operations the Denver Tramway Company owned more than 160 miles of track and operated over 250 streetcars.  By 1950 only 64 cars were still in use as motor buses began to take favor.  After being decommissioned in 1950, the Denver Tramway Company sold the old trolleys for $100 each.  Ownership of Streetcar No. 04 changed hands many times, first serving as a cabin near Rollinsville. It was then stored at the Forney Museum until it was eventually donated to the Denver Rail Heritage Society in 2000. The car has suffered from exposure to the elements and is currently in poor condition. The wood siding is rotting, its windows broken, and the distinctive yellow metal siding rusting and missing.  Without a secure, protected location, No.04 will continue to deteriorate into oblivion like the entire electric streetcar system.   The first priority for future preservation and conservation of the car is to protect it from further damage through exposure.

Colorado Preservation, Inc. selected Streetcar No.04 as endangered recognizing its significance to Denver as well as its opportunity to bring awareness to the history of the streetcar. he Arvada Historical Society and the City of Arvada applied for a State Historical Fund grant to have the streetcar restored to its 1950s appearance and have it on display at one of Arvada’s new light rail stations.


Video produced by Arvada Media Services and KATV-8

Additional Links:
Official Trolley Website
Streetcar in Denver

Donate to CPI

We hope you will extend your appreciation for Colorado's past into an investment in its future by making a tax-deductible gift today.

Featured Project

4 Bar 4 Ranch

Homesteaded in 1895 by Dick McQueary to provide a stop for the Georgetown Stage Line, the 320-acre 4 Bar 4 Ranch has strong ties to Grand County and Colorado's heritage. The Georgetown Stage Line traveled on the road through the 4 Bar 4 Ranch from Idaho Springs to Hot Sulphur Springs over Berthoud Pass. In 1895 a roadhouse and stage stop were constructed on the ranch. The hotel and barn were constructed using trees from the Ranch property, and the hotel remained open for travelers coming over Berthoud Pass by horseback and wagon until 1913. With the coming of the automobile, the roadway over Berthoud Pass and through the 4 Bar 4 Ranch was considered an integral part of the Trans-Continental “Midland Trail” highway. Following the closing of the stage line, the ranch continued to host travelers until 1912 or 1913 when it was purchased and converted into a Ford Motor Company . Ford vehicles were sold here until 1917, when Harry Larkin purchased the ranch site. Today emergency efforts are underway to ensure it survives through the winter. Donations are in need. To learn more, contact Jennifer Orrigo Charles at

Join our Email List