Current Projects

Current Preservation Services Projects

Active Projects – Quick List

  • Amache, Granada (3 projects)
  • Antonito Depot
  • Baldpate Inn, Estes Park
  • Byers Peak Ranch, Fraser
  • Colona Grange/School, Ouray County
  • Economic Benefits Study of Historic Preservation, Statewide
  • Falconwood Lodge/Freedom School, Douglas County
  • Fort Lyon, Las Animas
  • Huerfano County Courthouse, Walsenburg

Fort Lyon, Bent County near Las Animas

DSC02279Located directly east of Las Animas, Fort Lyon has a long and rich history service the territory, state and region.  A National Register District, it was originally built as an army outpost in the 1860’s.  Located on 512 acres along the Arkansas River and the Sante Fe Trail, the property consists of approximately 91 contributing buildings and features, constructed in varying architectural styles during different occupies.  Active as an Army Fort between 1868-1888, it was later occupied by the Navy as a tuberculosis treatment facility, then later as VA hospital, and then ownership was transferred to the Colorado Department of Corrections.  Bent County has taken a leadership role in redeveloping the site, which is owned by the State of Colorado.  Fort Lyon is currently under partial occupation by the Colorado Coalition for the Homeless and the ultimate goal is adaptive reuse of the property so that the Fort Lyon campus can be self-supporting.   Partially funded by the History Colorado State Historical Fund, the current project will result in a comprehensive master plan identifying building conditions, reuse potential, and funding opportunities.

 

Falconwood Lodge

Falconwood Lodge

Falconwood Lodge – Douglas County

In 1955, Robert LeFevre founded the Freedom School in Douglas County.  Formally a cottage camp, there were five cabins on the site at the time of the sale.  LeFevre added six building to the campus and held workshops and seminars at the site designed to educate people in his political philosophy regarding the meaning of freedom and free-market economic policy. He is most closely associated with Libertarian philosophy.  It was his thinking that the ideal state would have no government or political entities and that the functions of government that governments usually handle, such as education, policing, etc., would be handled by the private sector.  Between 1965 and 1968, the property hosted numerous political activities and conventions.  Today, the property serves as the Douglas County Outdoor Education Center.  The majority of buildings reflect the rustic style of log construction.  At the center of the property is the Falcon Wood Lodge, which under this grant is receiving a new roof and foundation and an updated interior.  Upon rehabilitation, the building will be used to house visiting school staff and dignitaries.

 

Amache – Granada Relocation Center

Working in partnership with the Friends of Amache and the National Trust for Historic Preservation, Colorado Preservation, Inc. has been awarded several grants from the National Park Service’s Japanese American Confinement Sites Grant Program. Current and past projects include the following:

  • Water Tower Rehabilitation and Reconstruction
  • Guard Tower Rehabilitation and Reconstruction
  • Barracks Reconstruction
  • Site Interpretation

Read More

Montezuma Bank Building

_DSC1168 (1)The restoration of the Montezuma Bank Building, a project being undertaken Community Radio Project (CRP), which is a non-profit 501(c)(3) corporation whose mission is to foster non-commercial, community based broadcasting that supports the inclusive voice, education and interests of the rural community in Southwest Colorado and the Four Corners Region, is multi-faceted and aimed at historic preservation, community development and sustainability. Read more.

A Home on the Range

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERAA Home on the Range interprets the history of homesteading through its vernacular architecture, material culture, and cultural landscape. The project consists of several major components including National Register nominations, illustrated brochures, three driving tours which correspond with three podcasts, three roadside informational kiosks, and associated website pages. Read more.

Donate to CPI

We hope you will extend your appreciation for Colorado's past into an investment in its future by making a tax-deductible gift today.

Featured Project

4 Bar 4 Ranch

Homesteaded in 1895 by Dick McQueary to provide a stop for the Georgetown Stage Line, the 320-acre 4 Bar 4 Ranch has strong ties to Grand County and Colorado's heritage. The Georgetown Stage Line traveled on the road through the 4 Bar 4 Ranch from Idaho Springs to Hot Sulphur Springs over Berthoud Pass. In 1895 a roadhouse and stage stop were constructed on the ranch. The hotel and barn were constructed using trees from the Ranch property, and the hotel remained open for travelers coming over Berthoud Pass by horseback and wagon until 1913. With the coming of the automobile, the roadway over Berthoud Pass and through the 4 Bar 4 Ranch was considered an integral part of the Trans-Continental “Midland Trail” highway. Following the closing of the stage line, the ranch continued to host travelers until 1912 or 1913 when it was purchased and converted into a Ford Motor Company . Ford vehicles were sold here until 1917, when Harry Larkin purchased the ranch site. Today emergency efforts are underway to ensure it survives through the winter. Donations are in need. To learn more, contact Jennifer Orrigo Charles at jorrigocharlges@coloradopreservation.org.

Join our Email List