Temple Aaron

compilation
Year Listed: 2017
County: Las Animas County
Construction Date: 1889
Threat When Listed: Demolition by Neglect 
Status: ALERT

Video courtesy of CBS4

Located in the El Corazon de Trinidad National Historic District, Temple Aaron is a prominent visual landmark in Trinidad and the oldest synagogue building in continuous operation in Colorado. Designed by Isaac Hamilton Rapp and built in 1889, Temple Aaron is not only architecturally significant but also important for its role in the cultural history of Trinidad.  Jewish merchants, who served as traders along the Santa Fe Trail, began locating in Trinidad as early as 1867 and became prominent members of the community.  By 1874, Trinidad had only two non-Jewish mercantile firms and within ten years Congregation Aaron was organized as a Reform congregation on July 23, 1883.

The congregation immediately began planning for the construction of a synagogue, selecting a lot high on a hill in a well-established residential area.  Prominent regional architect, Isaac Hamilton Rapp, incorporated eclectic Turkish and Moorish elements into its design.  The cornerstone was laid on June 17, 1889 and at the time of it dedication, the congregation included approximately 50 male members.  Leopold Freudenthal served as the first full-time Rabbi until 1916.

In 2016, Temple Aaron closed its doors ending a chapter in its 127 year history with the Jewish community.  A dwindling congregation and mounting costs for insurance, maintenance, and necessary repairs were factors that led to the closure.  Today the building retains its original stained glass windows as well as its hand-carved pulpit and organ, which were brought to Temple Aaron by wagon train.  Colorado Preservation, Inc. currently holds an easement on the property and has been involved in many projects with the building over the years.  The property is for sale and looking for a preservation minded buyer.

 

Donate to CPI

We hope you will extend your appreciation for Colorado's past into an investment in its future by making a tax-deductible gift today.

Featured Project

4 Bar 4 Ranch

Homesteaded in 1895 by Dick McQueary to provide a stop for the Georgetown Stage Line, the 320-acre 4 Bar 4 Ranch has strong ties to Grand County and Colorado's heritage. The Georgetown Stage Line traveled on the road through the 4 Bar 4 Ranch from Idaho Springs to Hot Sulphur Springs over Berthoud Pass. In 1895 a roadhouse and stage stop were constructed on the ranch. The hotel and barn were constructed using trees from the Ranch property, and the hotel remained open for travelers coming over Berthoud Pass by horseback and wagon until 1913. With the coming of the automobile, the roadway over Berthoud Pass and through the 4 Bar 4 Ranch was considered an integral part of the Trans-Continental “Midland Trail” highway. Following the closing of the stage line, the ranch continued to host travelers until 1912 or 1913 when it was purchased and converted into a Ford Motor Company . Ford vehicles were sold here until 1917, when Harry Larkin purchased the ranch site. Today emergency efforts are underway to ensure it survives through the winter. Donations are in need. To learn more, contact Jennifer Orrigo Charles at jorrigocharlges@coloradopreservation.org.

Join our Email List