Ute Ulay Mill and Town Site

mill 2mill 6
Year Listed: 2015
County: Hinsdale County
Construction Date: 1870s through early 1900s
Threat When Listed: Demolition by Neglect – Vacant
Status: ALERT

Video courtesy of CBS4

The Ute and Utlay mines were some of the best known silver and lead producers in Colorado.  Between 1874 and 1903, the mines were responsible for $12 million worth of minerals which today would amount to more than $280 million in value.  Located in Hinsdale County, the mines were largely responsible for the development of Lake City.  The booming mining-based economy attracted many people to the area and the mines continued to produce on and off through the 1980s.

Thanks to LKA Gold, the ten-acre site has been donated to Hinsdale County and the environmental stabilization work completed with the help of the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA), Colorado Department of Public Health & the Environment (CDPHE), and the Bureau of Land Management (BLM).  The site consists of 18 structures including residential cabins, a blacksmith shop, a boarding house, a red-cedar water tank, and assayer’s office.  Over the past twenty years, the structures have continued to degrade during adverse weather and many are unstable.  Due to the unsafe nature of the site, the public is currently not allowed near the buildings.  An assessment will need to be completed to determine each structure’s needs.

The Ute and Ulay mines, mill complex and surrounding Henson town site are rare examples of a more complete mining community with large amount of historic fabric remaining.  The site’s location along the Alpine Loop Backcountry Byway increases its opportunity for education and as a heritage tourism destination.

Since listing Colorado Preservation, Inc. partnered with Historicorps to host a weekend workshop at the site to install a new roof on a section of the mill.  The site has also been awarded funds for various projects including funds for projects including the Division of Minerals, Reclamation & Safety (DRMS) for emergency stabilization of buildings and a five-day HistoriCorps project; a USDA Rural Development grant for business planning and a Bureau of Land Management grant for a National Historic Register nomination application.

Additional Links:
Lake City Dirt: Ute Ulay Project
Lake City Facebook

Donate to CPI

We hope you will extend your appreciation for Colorado's past into an investment in its future by making a tax-deductible gift today.

Featured Project

4 Bar 4 Ranch

Homesteaded in 1895 by Dick McQueary to provide a stop for the Georgetown Stage Line, the 320-acre 4 Bar 4 Ranch has strong ties to Grand County and Colorado's heritage. The Georgetown Stage Line traveled on the road through the 4 Bar 4 Ranch from Idaho Springs to Hot Sulphur Springs over Berthoud Pass. In 1895 a roadhouse and stage stop were constructed on the ranch. The hotel and barn were constructed using trees from the Ranch property, and the hotel remained open for travelers coming over Berthoud Pass by horseback and wagon until 1913. With the coming of the automobile, the roadway over Berthoud Pass and through the 4 Bar 4 Ranch was considered an integral part of the Trans-Continental “Midland Trail” highway. Following the closing of the stage line, the ranch continued to host travelers until 1912 or 1913 when it was purchased and converted into a Ford Motor Company . Ford vehicles were sold here until 1917, when Harry Larkin purchased the ranch site. Today emergency efforts are underway to ensure it survives through the winter. Donations are in need. To learn more, contact Jennifer Orrigo Charles at jorrigocharlges@coloradopreservation.org.

Join our Email List