Kress Cinema & Lounge

August 9, 2012
Kress Cinema & Lounge
817 8th Avenue
Greeley, CO 80631

About the Kress Cinema & Lounge

S.H. Kress & Co. was the trading name of a chain of “five and dime” retail department stores in the United States, which operated from 1896 to 1981.Samuel Kress opened his first “stationery and notions” store in Nanticoke, Pennsylvania  in 1887. The chain of S. H. Kress & Co. 5-10-25 Cent Stores was established in 1896. Throughout the first half of the twentieth century Kress stores were a familiar sight on “Main Street”  in hundreds of cities and towns.The Kress chain was known for the fine architecture of its buildings. “Samuel H. Kress… envisioned his stores as works of public art that would contribute to the cityscape.”

In 1964 Genesco, Inc. acquired ownership of Kress. The company abandoned its center-city stores and moved to the shopping malls. Genesco began liquidating Kress and closing down the Kress stores in 1980.

Kress buildings around the country have seen a resurgence of reuse. The Kress Cinema & Lounge in historic downtown Greeley is one of them.  The Kress Cinema & Lounge has the destinction of being Greeley’s first independent art house cinema. It is located in the historic Kress Building that has been fully renovated which is in the heart of downtown Greeley. Their programs are diverse, with foreign, cult, classic and alternative films playing. Located in downtown Greeley, in the historically renovated Kress Building, the theater takes advantage of the high, decorative plaster ceilings to create a large viewing space with historic ambiance.

Make sure to visit their website to learn more about the Kress Cinema & Lounge!

Donate to CPI

We hope you will extend your appreciation for Colorado's past into an investment in its future by making a tax-deductible gift today.

Featured Project

4 Bar 4 Ranch

Homesteaded in 1895 by Dick McQueary to provide a stop for the Georgetown Stage Line, the 320-acre 4 Bar 4 Ranch has strong ties to Grand County and Colorado's heritage. The Georgetown Stage Line traveled on the road through the 4 Bar 4 Ranch from Idaho Springs to Hot Sulphur Springs over Berthoud Pass. In 1895 a roadhouse and stage stop were constructed on the ranch. The hotel and barn were constructed using trees from the Ranch property, and the hotel remained open for travelers coming over Berthoud Pass by horseback and wagon until 1913. With the coming of the automobile, the roadway over Berthoud Pass and through the 4 Bar 4 Ranch was considered an integral part of the Trans-Continental “Midland Trail” highway. Following the closing of the stage line, the ranch continued to host travelers until 1912 or 1913 when it was purchased and converted into a Ford Motor Company . Ford vehicles were sold here until 1917, when Harry Larkin purchased the ranch site. Today emergency efforts are underway to ensure it survives through the winter. Donations are in need. To learn more, contact Jennifer Orrigo Charles at

Join our Email List