Cultural Resource Surveys

Survey at Colorado Preservation, Inc.

Colorado Preservation, Inc. began its survey program in 2003 with a multi-year project to identify New Deal resources in Eastern Colorado. Since then the survey program has grown dramatically to include a statewide inventory of school buildings, a pilot project to conduct countywide surveys of rural resources in Eastern Colorado, and a survey of archaeological and architectural resources on private ranchlands in southeastern Colorado.

Survey work at the Villareal Homestead in Las Animas County



Why Survey?

  • To gain an understanding of the history of an area through its historic resources
  • To increase public awareness of an area’s historic resources
  • To include resources in the database of historic sites maintained by the Colorado Historical Society
  • To collect information to be incorporated into heritage tourism programs
  • To identify historic resources eligible for historic designation at the local, state, or national level
  • To identify historical resources of a distinctive type, or associated with a historical period or movement
  • To create a foundation for preservation planning and advocacy
  • To identity resources that are endangered, vacant, and/or in need of rehabilitation/repair

Survey at Colorado Preservation, Inc.

Baca County Rural Resources Survey
Historic Schools Survey of Colorado
New Deal Survey of Eastern Colorado
Phillips County Rural Resources Survey
Purgatoire River Region Survey

Donate to CPI

We hope you will extend your appreciation for Colorado's past into an investment in its future by making a tax-deductible gift today.

Featured Project

4 Bar 4 Ranch

Homesteaded in 1895 by Dick McQueary to provide a stop for the Georgetown Stage Line, the 320-acre 4 Bar 4 Ranch has strong ties to Grand County and Colorado's heritage. The Georgetown Stage Line traveled on the road through the 4 Bar 4 Ranch from Idaho Springs to Hot Sulphur Springs over Berthoud Pass. In 1895 a roadhouse and stage stop were constructed on the ranch. The hotel and barn were constructed using trees from the Ranch property, and the hotel remained open for travelers coming over Berthoud Pass by horseback and wagon until 1913. With the coming of the automobile, the roadway over Berthoud Pass and through the 4 Bar 4 Ranch was considered an integral part of the Trans-Continental “Midland Trail” highway. Following the closing of the stage line, the ranch continued to host travelers until 1912 or 1913 when it was purchased and converted into a Ford Motor Company . Ford vehicles were sold here until 1917, when Harry Larkin purchased the ranch site. Today emergency efforts are underway to ensure it survives through the winter. Donations are in need. To learn more, contact Jennifer Orrigo Charles at

Join our Email List