Historic Schools Survey

North High School, Denver, Colorado

Historic Schools Survey in Colorado

The goal of this project is to demonstrate to Colorado’s school districts that historic schools can be rehabbed to meet today’s standards, save capital costs, provide economic efficiencies through their locations in walkable neighborhoods, and be a source of pride to the district, students, and community. The objectives of this project are to:

  • Encourage schools to consider the intrinsic cultural value of historic schools and the unique character of historic architectural design when analyzing their facilities. Show how historic schools are an anchor for historic neighborhoods and house not only an educational facility, but lifetimes of memories for multiple generations
  • Highlight successful historic school rehab projects, featuring those receiving grants from the State Historical Fund. These projects can serve to encourage others to investigate continued use of an existing facility when upgrades are needed as well as demonstrate that demolition is not the only alternative if continued use as a school is not deemed viable


Donate to CPI

We hope you will extend your appreciation for Colorado's past into an investment in its future by making a tax-deductible gift today.

Featured Project

4 Bar 4 Ranch

Homesteaded in 1895 by Dick McQueary to provide a stop for the Georgetown Stage Line, the 320-acre 4 Bar 4 Ranch has strong ties to Grand County and Colorado's heritage. The Georgetown Stage Line traveled on the road through the 4 Bar 4 Ranch from Idaho Springs to Hot Sulphur Springs over Berthoud Pass. In 1895 a roadhouse and stage stop were constructed on the ranch. The hotel and barn were constructed using trees from the Ranch property, and the hotel remained open for travelers coming over Berthoud Pass by horseback and wagon until 1913. With the coming of the automobile, the roadway over Berthoud Pass and through the 4 Bar 4 Ranch was considered an integral part of the Trans-Continental “Midland Trail” highway. Following the closing of the stage line, the ranch continued to host travelers until 1912 or 1913 when it was purchased and converted into a Ford Motor Company . Ford vehicles were sold here until 1917, when Harry Larkin purchased the ranch site. Today emergency efforts are underway to ensure it survives through the winter. Donations are in need. To learn more, contact Jennifer Orrigo Charles at jorrigocharlges@coloradopreservation.org.

Join our Email List