New Deal Survey

The New Deal in Eastern Colorado

The New Deal construction programs left a vast legacy of buildings and structures throughout the United States. Due to the high number of federal land holdings combined with the devastation wrought by the combination of the Great Depression, the regional drought, and the Dust Bowl, Colorado received more than its proportionate “fair share” of federal money from New Deal programs during the 1930s. Consequently, there are New Deal resources in every Colorado county, and virtually every community in the state.

WPA Culvert in Crowley County

The Survey

Colorado Preservation Inc.’s New Deal Survey Project has developed a history of the New Deal programs and projects active on Colorado’s Eastern Plains. Several counties have been surveyed, and New Deal projects identified. More counties are currently being surveyed. The project is partially funded by a grant from the State Historical Fund, a program of the Colorado Historical Society.

The Resources

New Deal Resources on the National Register of Historic Places
Researching New Deal Historic Resources
Surveyed New Deal Resources in Eastern Colorado – COMING SOON!
New Deal Architecture Styles in Colorado

Donate to CPI

We hope you will extend your appreciation for Colorado's past into an investment in its future by making a tax-deductible gift today.

Featured Project

4 Bar 4 Ranch

Homesteaded in 1895 by Dick McQueary to provide a stop for the Georgetown Stage Line, the 320-acre 4 Bar 4 Ranch has strong ties to Grand County and Colorado's heritage. The Georgetown Stage Line traveled on the road through the 4 Bar 4 Ranch from Idaho Springs to Hot Sulphur Springs over Berthoud Pass. In 1895 a roadhouse and stage stop were constructed on the ranch. The hotel and barn were constructed using trees from the Ranch property, and the hotel remained open for travelers coming over Berthoud Pass by horseback and wagon until 1913. With the coming of the automobile, the roadway over Berthoud Pass and through the 4 Bar 4 Ranch was considered an integral part of the Trans-Continental “Midland Trail” highway. Following the closing of the stage line, the ranch continued to host travelers until 1912 or 1913 when it was purchased and converted into a Ford Motor Company . Ford vehicles were sold here until 1917, when Harry Larkin purchased the ranch site. Today emergency efforts are underway to ensure it survives through the winter. Donations are in need. To learn more, contact Jennifer Orrigo Charles at

Join our Email List