Equipment Storage

The storage and maintenance of farm vehicles and equipment is another important farm function. In the early twentieth century, these functions could be fulfilled with a small garage for an automobile or farm truck along with a central barn driveway to store the tractor. But as the size and variety of farm equipment increased, larger storage structures were needed. Quonsets were added to many farms in the mid twentieth century as a place to store and maintain equipment. As machinery has outgrown the Quonsets farmers have added large, pre-fabricated metal sheds to the farmstead.

Farmers often installed their own gas tanks on the farm to fuel their equipment. Scale houses were constructed so that loads of grain and livestock could be weighed on the farm.

Quonset:

The Quonset was developed during World War II.  A lightweight, prefabricated structure, it could be easily shipped and erected without skilled labor. Constructed of corrugated galvanized steel, the buildings had a semicircular cross section. The support-free, open plan interior space was easily adaptable to a wide range of uses. After the war, the Quonset type was quickly adopted by farmers as all-purpose farm buildings. They were most often used as machine storage and workshop buildings, though they could also be adapted to grain storage. Quonsets in Phillips County include both those order pre-fabricated and shipped to farms in pieces as well as locally produced exampled. Interior support structures include wood as well as steel framing. Exterior coverings include steel and aluminum.

 

Donate to CPI

We hope you will extend your appreciation for Colorado's past into an investment in its future by making a tax-deductible gift today.

Featured Project

4 Bar 4 Ranch

Homesteaded in 1895 by Dick McQueary to provide a stop for the Georgetown Stage Line, the 320-acre 4 Bar 4 Ranch has strong ties to Grand County and Colorado's heritage. The Georgetown Stage Line traveled on the road through the 4 Bar 4 Ranch from Idaho Springs to Hot Sulphur Springs over Berthoud Pass. In 1895 a roadhouse and stage stop were constructed on the ranch. The hotel and barn were constructed using trees from the Ranch property, and the hotel remained open for travelers coming over Berthoud Pass by horseback and wagon until 1913. With the coming of the automobile, the roadway over Berthoud Pass and through the 4 Bar 4 Ranch was considered an integral part of the Trans-Continental “Midland Trail” highway. Following the closing of the stage line, the ranch continued to host travelers until 1912 or 1913 when it was purchased and converted into a Ford Motor Company . Ford vehicles were sold here until 1917, when Harry Larkin purchased the ranch site. Today emergency efforts are underway to ensure it survives through the winter. Donations are in need. To learn more, contact Jennifer Orrigo Charles at jorrigocharlges@coloradopreservation.org.

Join our Email List