Murdock Building Rehabilitation

History of the Building

The Murdock Building is made up of three separate structures located in historic downtown Eads, which is laid out along the railroad line. Together and separately, each of these structures has functioned as a bank, café, general merchandise enterprise, flower and gift shop, and dry goods store. The Slater Building has been shuttered since 1984, but the Whitelaw and Schoggen Buildings were occupied until 2006. Kiowa County purchased the “Murdock Building” in 2007 with plans to rehab a portion for its use as a Senior Center and the remainder for lease to the National Park Service to serve as a Visitor’s Center and Offices for the Sand Creek Massacre National Historic Site. This unique partnership offers an opportunity to bring the citizens of Eads and its surrounding areas and heritage tourists to the heart of downtown Eads.

Project Description

This project entails completing an historic structure assessment of the Murdock Building, stabilizing a portion of the structure (immediate structural work is required on the Slater Bank Building) and completing design and construction documents for its rehabilitation. The historic structure assessment will provide a roadmap for future rehabilitation work, determining the building’s needs. Construction documents for the core and shell of the building will allow for adequate cost estimates to be prepared. Design documents for the interior will be created so that the community and potential funders can envision the interior as a functional space with remaining historic fabric adding to the atmosphere, which will also incorporate an energy-efficient design. The completion of this project will provide a much-needed gathering space for Kiowa County’s seniors and community members and the opening of the Sand Creek National Historic Site Visitor’s Center will attract heritage tourists, rekindling activity in historic downtown Eads.

Project Team

Funding provided through grants from the State Historical Fund, the Department of Local Affairs, the National Park Service, the National Trust for Historic Preservation, Kiowa County, in-kind from Colorado Preservation, the Eads Chamber of Commerce, Kiowa County National Bank, and the Governor’s Energy Office.

Donate to CPI

We hope you will extend your appreciation for Colorado's past into an investment in its future by making a tax-deductible gift today.

Featured Project

4 Bar 4 Ranch

Homesteaded in 1895 by Dick McQueary to provide a stop for the Georgetown Stage Line, the 320-acre 4 Bar 4 Ranch has strong ties to Grand County and Colorado's heritage. The Georgetown Stage Line traveled on the road through the 4 Bar 4 Ranch from Idaho Springs to Hot Sulphur Springs over Berthoud Pass. In 1895 a roadhouse and stage stop were constructed on the ranch. The hotel and barn were constructed using trees from the Ranch property, and the hotel remained open for travelers coming over Berthoud Pass by horseback and wagon until 1913. With the coming of the automobile, the roadway over Berthoud Pass and through the 4 Bar 4 Ranch was considered an integral part of the Trans-Continental “Midland Trail” highway. Following the closing of the stage line, the ranch continued to host travelers until 1912 or 1913 when it was purchased and converted into a Ford Motor Company . Ford vehicles were sold here until 1917, when Harry Larkin purchased the ranch site. Today emergency efforts are underway to ensure it survives through the winter. Donations are in need. To learn more, contact Jennifer Orrigo Charles at

Join our Email List