Deputy Warden’s House

Year Listed: 2011
County: Fremont County
Construction Date: 1901
Threat When Listed: Demolition by Neglect – Vacant
Status: IN PROGRESS

Located on the grounds of the Colorado Territorial Correctional Facility, the Deputy Warden’s House is an unmistakable architectural landmark in Cañon City.  Designed by architect C.C. Rittenhouse in the Queen Anne Style, the house was built in 1901 for $7,500 using prison labor both to quarry the stone from the hill behind the prison and to construct the house.  The Deputy Warden’s House was purposefully built outside the walls of the prison to avoid having the Warden and Deputy Warden housed within its confines.  The three story tower that dominates the facade of the house is the most prominent architectural feature of the building.  It is believed that the architect incorporated this feature to provide some balance against the imposing 20 foot tall prison walls next door.  The house was used as a private residence until the mid 1970s, when it was converted to serve as a foster home for juvenile delinquents and ultimately into administrative office space for prison staff.  The Deputy Warden’s House was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 2001.

In 2007, the Department of Corrections moved staff out of the house and it has been vacant since.  Failing HVAC, electrical, and plumbing systems combined with a compromised roof and gutters are contributing to the house becoming increasingly derelict.  The Department of Corrections is strained to prioritize the maintenance and upkeep of the Deputy Warden’s House as it has an additional 800 buildings to manage.  A historic structure assessment completed in 2003, before the house was vacated, identified almost a half million dollars in necessary rehabilitation work. DOC has no funding appropriated to complete the needed rehabilitation work, nor plans to reoccupy the space, and so the Deputy Warden’s House may continue to languish – vacant and not maintained.

Colorado Preservation, Inc. in collaboration with the successful and highly respected Colorado Prison Museum have proposed a scenario that would involve transferring ownership of the Deputy Warden’s House to either Cañon City or the Colorado Prison Museum so that the house can be fully rehabilitated and used as an interpretive and meeting space.

Additional Links:
Colorado Prison Museum
Canon City

Donate to CPI

We hope you will extend your appreciation for Colorado's past into an investment in its future by making a tax-deductible gift today.

Featured Project

4 Bar 4 Ranch

Homesteaded in 1895 by Dick McQueary to provide a stop for the Georgetown Stage Line, the 320-acre 4 Bar 4 Ranch has strong ties to Grand County and Colorado's heritage. The Georgetown Stage Line traveled on the road through the 4 Bar 4 Ranch from Idaho Springs to Hot Sulphur Springs over Berthoud Pass. In 1895 a roadhouse and stage stop were constructed on the ranch. The hotel and barn were constructed using trees from the Ranch property, and the hotel remained open for travelers coming over Berthoud Pass by horseback and wagon until 1913. With the coming of the automobile, the roadway over Berthoud Pass and through the 4 Bar 4 Ranch was considered an integral part of the Trans-Continental “Midland Trail” highway. Following the closing of the stage line, the ranch continued to host travelers until 1912 or 1913 when it was purchased and converted into a Ford Motor Company . Ford vehicles were sold here until 1917, when Harry Larkin purchased the ranch site. Today emergency efforts are underway to ensure it survives through the winter. Donations are in need. To learn more, contact Jennifer Orrigo Charles at jorrigocharlges@coloradopreservation.org.

Join our Email List