Commodore Mine District

Year Listed: 2006
County: Mineral County
Construction Date: 1890s
Threat When Listed: Natural Elements
Status: IN PROGRESS
 
 

Believed eligible for the National Register of Historic Places, the complex lies one mile north of the historic mining town of Creede. Activity in the area began with the early silver bonanzas of the 1890s and continued into base metal production during World War II. The Commodore Mine finally closed in 1976. The district has stood as a regional icon and one of Colorado’s most scenic and photographed mining sites.

Since its 2006 listing, a group of dedicated citizens formed the Creede Minding Heritage, Inc. with a mission to preserve historic mining sites in the Creede area. This group is now working to control the erosion, runoff, and possible contaminants within the area.  With the completion of an environmental assessment and boundary survey, the organization hopes to purchase the site and start its restoration process.

 

Additional Links:

None at this time

Donate to CPI

We hope you will extend your appreciation for Colorado's past into an investment in its future by making a tax-deductible gift today.

Featured Project

4 Bar 4 Ranch

Homesteaded in 1895 by Dick McQueary to provide a stop for the Georgetown Stage Line, the 320-acre 4 Bar 4 Ranch has strong ties to Grand County and Colorado's heritage. The Georgetown Stage Line traveled on the road through the 4 Bar 4 Ranch from Idaho Springs to Hot Sulphur Springs over Berthoud Pass. In 1895 a roadhouse and stage stop were constructed on the ranch. The hotel and barn were constructed using trees from the Ranch property, and the hotel remained open for travelers coming over Berthoud Pass by horseback and wagon until 1913. With the coming of the automobile, the roadway over Berthoud Pass and through the 4 Bar 4 Ranch was considered an integral part of the Trans-Continental “Midland Trail” highway. Following the closing of the stage line, the ranch continued to host travelers until 1912 or 1913 when it was purchased and converted into a Ford Motor Company . Ford vehicles were sold here until 1917, when Harry Larkin purchased the ranch site. Today emergency efforts are underway to ensure it survives through the winter. Donations are in need. To learn more, contact Jennifer Orrigo Charles at jorrigocharlges@coloradopreservation.org.

Join our Email List