Daniels Schoolhouse

Year Listed: 2006
County: Weld County
Construction Date: 1911
Threat When Listed: Demolition by Neglect – Vacant
Status: SAVE
 
 

On the National Register of Historic Places, the school was built in 1911 and met the educational needs of the community for almost fifty years. The building is reported to be the last remaining rural brick schoolhouse in Weld County. The Daniels family immigrated to the United States from England, via Canada, in the mid 19th century and settled in Weld County well before the Town of Milliken was founded in 1907. By that time, the Daniels had become old-timers in the community, and donated a parcel of their land for a school.

The school bell tower has been restored and the ornate columns supporting the portico have a fresh coat of paint with capitols replicated from the originals.  Future plans are to use the building as a community center, renting it out for meetings, receptions, reunions, etc.  There is also a teacherage on the property in good condition that might also be restored.

Additional Links:

None at this time

Donate to CPI

We hope you will extend your appreciation for Colorado's past into an investment in its future by making a tax-deductible gift today.

Featured Project

4 Bar 4 Ranch

Homesteaded in 1895 by Dick McQueary to provide a stop for the Georgetown Stage Line, the 320-acre 4 Bar 4 Ranch has strong ties to Grand County and Colorado's heritage. The Georgetown Stage Line traveled on the road through the 4 Bar 4 Ranch from Idaho Springs to Hot Sulphur Springs over Berthoud Pass. In 1895 a roadhouse and stage stop were constructed on the ranch. The hotel and barn were constructed using trees from the Ranch property, and the hotel remained open for travelers coming over Berthoud Pass by horseback and wagon until 1913. With the coming of the automobile, the roadway over Berthoud Pass and through the 4 Bar 4 Ranch was considered an integral part of the Trans-Continental “Midland Trail” highway. Following the closing of the stage line, the ranch continued to host travelers until 1912 or 1913 when it was purchased and converted into a Ford Motor Company . Ford vehicles were sold here until 1917, when Harry Larkin purchased the ranch site. Today emergency efforts are underway to ensure it survives through the winter. Donations are in need. To learn more, contact Jennifer Orrigo Charles at jorrigocharlges@coloradopreservation.org.

Join our Email List