Hispanic Cultural Landscapes – Purgatoire River Valley

Year Listed: 1998
County: Las Animas County
Construction Date: 1860s
Threat When Listed: Development
Status: ALERT
 

This scenic valley located near the Santa Fe Trail is dotted with historic adobe homes, plazas, and Penitente churches and is still home to descendants of the Hispanic settlers who arrived in the 1860s. The landscape contains some of the oldest settlements in Colorado, representative of multiple phases of Colorado history. This area was home to many historic events and embraces a unique representation of a cultural heritage. It is listed on the National Register of Historic Places and located on or near the Highway of Legends Scenic Byway.

Many of these vernacular Hispanic structures still exist and can be seen along county roads and highways.  Unfortunately, neglect, the elements, vandalism, land development, and lack of education and awareness create a peril that threaten these cultural treasures.  After being listed on Colorado Preservation, Inc.’s Most Endangered Places List the site was designated as an official Save America’s Treasures project. Subsequently, supporters secured a State Historical Fund grant for a context study which was completed in 2003. Since the report, there has been little done with regard to preservation in the area because of a lack in funding and interest. To maintain inertia for the preservation of this significant landscape, Colorado Preservation, Inc. is working with the Catholic community to restore a chapel.

Additional Links:
Pinon Canyon Maneuver Site
Pinon Canyon Expansion Opposition Coalition

Donate to CPI

We hope you will extend your appreciation for Colorado's past into an investment in its future by making a tax-deductible gift today.

Featured Project

4 Bar 4 Ranch

Homesteaded in 1895 by Dick McQueary to provide a stop for the Georgetown Stage Line, the 320-acre 4 Bar 4 Ranch has strong ties to Grand County and Colorado's heritage. The Georgetown Stage Line traveled on the road through the 4 Bar 4 Ranch from Idaho Springs to Hot Sulphur Springs over Berthoud Pass. In 1895 a roadhouse and stage stop were constructed on the ranch. The hotel and barn were constructed using trees from the Ranch property, and the hotel remained open for travelers coming over Berthoud Pass by horseback and wagon until 1913. With the coming of the automobile, the roadway over Berthoud Pass and through the 4 Bar 4 Ranch was considered an integral part of the Trans-Continental “Midland Trail” highway. Following the closing of the stage line, the ranch continued to host travelers until 1912 or 1913 when it was purchased and converted into a Ford Motor Company . Ford vehicles were sold here until 1917, when Harry Larkin purchased the ranch site. Today emergency efforts are underway to ensure it survives through the winter. Donations are in need. To learn more, contact Jennifer Orrigo Charles at jorrigocharlges@coloradopreservation.org.

Join our Email List