Lewis Mill

Year Listed: 1998
County: San Miguel County
Construction Date: 1907
Threat When Listed: Demolition by Neglect – Vacant
Status: SAVE

Located in a National Historic Landmark District at an elevation of over 12,000 feet, this circa 1907 metal processing mill is one of the most scenic in Colorado. Its remote location saved its interior contents from metal salvage programs carried out during World War II.  The mill stands as one of a few remaining mills with its original machinery intact. during World War II.

Colorado Preservation, Inc. worked to convince the current owners that the building is a special Colorado treasure that should be stabilized.  Listing the mill as endangered generated numerous inquiries from local architects, contractors, photographers, and the International Millwright Society.  Tremendous partnership efforts by Idarado Mining Company, the towns of Mountain Village and Telluride, the San Miguel County Historical Commission, and the State Historical Fund resulted in stabilization in 2001. Due to the remote location of the site, helicopters had to fly in construction material, and workers had to four-wheel and/or hike to get to work.

Additional Links:

None at this time

Donate to CPI

We hope you will extend your appreciation for Colorado's past into an investment in its future by making a tax-deductible gift today.

Featured Project

4 Bar 4 Ranch

Homesteaded in 1895 by Dick McQueary to provide a stop for the Georgetown Stage Line, the 320-acre 4 Bar 4 Ranch has strong ties to Grand County and Colorado's heritage. The Georgetown Stage Line traveled on the road through the 4 Bar 4 Ranch from Idaho Springs to Hot Sulphur Springs over Berthoud Pass. In 1895 a roadhouse and stage stop were constructed on the ranch. The hotel and barn were constructed using trees from the Ranch property, and the hotel remained open for travelers coming over Berthoud Pass by horseback and wagon until 1913. With the coming of the automobile, the roadway over Berthoud Pass and through the 4 Bar 4 Ranch was considered an integral part of the Trans-Continental “Midland Trail” highway. Following the closing of the stage line, the ranch continued to host travelers until 1912 or 1913 when it was purchased and converted into a Ford Motor Company . Ford vehicles were sold here until 1917, when Harry Larkin purchased the ranch site. Today emergency efforts are underway to ensure it survives through the winter. Donations are in need. To learn more, contact Jennifer Orrigo Charles at jorrigocharlges@coloradopreservation.org.

Join our Email List