Windsor Mill

Year Listed: 2002
County: Weld County
Construction Date: 1899
Threat When Listed: Natural Elements

Prominently located in the Town of Windsor and listed on the National Register of Historic Places, the four-story Windsor Mill was constructed in 1899 and used as a flour and feed mill until 1990. The building is a fine architectural representation of the progression from fire-prone wood structures to fire-proof brick, tile, and steel in the field of agriculture.

The Windsor Mill was placed on the 2002 Colorado’s Most Endangered Places List since funding was badly needed for work to be completed on the Mill. After spending $500,000 of his own money on the building, the former owner ran out of funds. A new owner purchased the foreclosed building in December of 2007 with the intention of restoring the Windsor Mill.

Colorado Preservation, Inc. assisted in the stabilization of the mill and worked to help develop a budget for future planned work. On Thursday, May 22, 2008 a devastating tornado ripped through the city of Windsor.  Residences, commercial and government buildings, and the natural landscape were affected, as well as the Windsor Mill.  Prior to the storm, extensive work to stabilize and restore the building had been conducted.  These efforts have now been lost.  Currently, the brick half of the four-story structure is down to one story with a partial sidewall remaining.  The community’s renewed efforts to repair the Mill started shortly after the storm and additional plans are already underway.

Additional Links:

2013 Article on Tornado Damage

Windsor Mill Facebook Page

Windsor Mill Blog

Donate to CPI

We hope you will extend your appreciation for Colorado's past into an investment in its future by making a tax-deductible gift today.

Featured Project

4 Bar 4 Ranch

Homesteaded in 1895 by Dick McQueary to provide a stop for the Georgetown Stage Line, the 320-acre 4 Bar 4 Ranch has strong ties to Grand County and Colorado's heritage. The Georgetown Stage Line traveled on the road through the 4 Bar 4 Ranch from Idaho Springs to Hot Sulphur Springs over Berthoud Pass. In 1895 a roadhouse and stage stop were constructed on the ranch. The hotel and barn were constructed using trees from the Ranch property, and the hotel remained open for travelers coming over Berthoud Pass by horseback and wagon until 1913. With the coming of the automobile, the roadway over Berthoud Pass and through the 4 Bar 4 Ranch was considered an integral part of the Trans-Continental “Midland Trail” highway. Following the closing of the stage line, the ranch continued to host travelers until 1912 or 1913 when it was purchased and converted into a Ford Motor Company . Ford vehicles were sold here until 1917, when Harry Larkin purchased the ranch site. Today emergency efforts are underway to ensure it survives through the winter. Donations are in need. To learn more, contact Jennifer Orrigo Charles at

Join our Email List