Skyline Park Documentation


Denver, CO

Date of Construction



Skyline Park was designed and constructed in 1974. In the midst of extensive urban renewal it was an innovative park design that created a refuge in the cityscape, a strong sense of place and a recognizable reference to the Colorado landscape in downtown Denver. It was designed by Lawrence Halprin, one of the leaders of modern landscape architecture. At the time of construction, Skyline was one of the innovative design solutions that Halprin was developing to deal with urban situations. He has since become an internationally known landscape architect for both his urban design and innovative ecological design.

Project Description

In March 2003, the City of Denver approved a plan for the redesign of Skyline Park by landscape architect Thomas Balsley of New York City. Few elements of the original design will remain in this redesign. In order that Halprin’s design may be remembered and studied by future generations, Colorado Preservation, Inc. requested and received permission from the City of Denver to document the park through photography, videography, measured drawings and a written history before demolition began. In May 2003, students from the University of Colorado – Denver converged on the park taking measurements while professionals took photographs and captured video footage. The completed detailed history, photographs, video, and drawings have been approved by the National Park Service as Colorado’s first Historic American Landscape Survey (HALS) project and copies have been cataloged at the Library of Congress and the Colorado Historical Society.

Project Team

Project financed in part through a grant from the State Historical Fund.

Donate to CPI

We hope you will extend your appreciation for Colorado's past into an investment in its future by making a tax-deductible gift today.

Featured Project

4 Bar 4 Ranch

Homesteaded in 1895 by Dick McQueary to provide a stop for the Georgetown Stage Line, the 320-acre 4 Bar 4 Ranch has strong ties to Grand County and Colorado's heritage. The Georgetown Stage Line traveled on the road through the 4 Bar 4 Ranch from Idaho Springs to Hot Sulphur Springs over Berthoud Pass. In 1895 a roadhouse and stage stop were constructed on the ranch. The hotel and barn were constructed using trees from the Ranch property, and the hotel remained open for travelers coming over Berthoud Pass by horseback and wagon until 1913. With the coming of the automobile, the roadway over Berthoud Pass and through the 4 Bar 4 Ranch was considered an integral part of the Trans-Continental “Midland Trail” highway. Following the closing of the stage line, the ranch continued to host travelers until 1912 or 1913 when it was purchased and converted into a Ford Motor Company . Ford vehicles were sold here until 1917, when Harry Larkin purchased the ranch site. Today emergency efforts are underway to ensure it survives through the winter. Donations are in need. To learn more, contact Jennifer Orrigo Charles at

Join our Email List